1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which small bass amp should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mbechmann, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann

I am looking a little bit for an amp I can use with my bass. I am thinking like a practice amp, that I can bring to practice in the local worship band. So nothing really big.

However, doing my search I came across this ZT Lunchbox. It fits perfect with my budget, and it does get good reviews. But is it any good with a bass?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...rdir=1&nN=true

If it isnt any good with a bass, which one would you go for instead? My budget is max 300$, and it is mostly a pratice amp at home, I am looking for.

2. LBassPlayer

LBassPlayer

I would go for a roland cube the 60 watt one

3. oerk

oerk

The ZT seems to be a guitar amp with a 6.5" speaker. In no way would it keep up in a rehearsal environment. How loud are we talking, BTW?

Roland Cube is a good suggestion. The Line6 Lowdown 110 is nice too.

I would look for something that can be tilt back like a wedge monitor. Check out the Hartke A series too (or a used Hartke Kickback, great value).

4. cnltb

cnltb

I like the look of the ZT but the ones I have seen are guitar amps and may not be very happy if used with bass.
    I also think they'l be too quiet to be used in any ensemble context.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mbechmann

Mbechmann

I have been looking at this site, because they have samples of different playing styles. The best one so far, is the Fender Super champ x2 surfs up. The blues sound is so pure, and clean. I know it is on a guitar, and that it is over my budget. But it does give you an idea what kind of sound I am lookign for.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_super_champ_x2_surfs_up_fsr.htm

As for the volumen. Not that high. I practiced with a loaner last time - and that was 50 watts. It worked fine.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Its a guitar amp, no good for your use.

I would take your $300 and shop used. If all you want is a practice combo, find one in the $75-125 range on CL. Save your money for when you want a bigger rig.

8. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

There's always some good prices in your ball park on used LMII and LMIII (Little Mark by Mark Bass). Small, light and the power is there if you ever need it.

9. RxFunk

RxFunk

The Ampeg BA-108 is a nice practice amp, a new one can be had for $100. It can get pretty loud, but it may or may not be loud enough for your purposes.

10. bmc

bmc

I would not use a Lunchbox for bass let alone guitar. I have tried it with acoustic and the sound is underwelming.

Roland is good European affordable amps. The 120 watt cube is totally gigable, depending on room size and the band you are in.

Check your local classifieds for used bass amps in your price range and then post them here. Keep in mind that many of the lads here on TB are US based and US prices for used gear are much cheaper than what you will find in Ireland. Alternatively, you could shop at Thomann online. Good online shop with good prices. Tried the used local market first and get some opinions from us.

11. Mbechmann

Mbechmann

Thank you so much for the help, guys. I got my new amp 1 hour ago :)

I was going to drive to this 1 shop, that have both second hand and new amps. About ½ a mile before my brother and I arrived, I turned, and tried an other shop. Dont know why I did that, because I had already been there, but couldnt find anything I wanted. But I did.

I had brought both my bases. My main instrument, a Daion Power Mark XX-B bass, and my backup, a Warwick Corvette $$4 Nirvana black bass. I talked to this one guy, and he quickly knew exactly what I was looking for. I did try, Roland Cube (didnt like it), and a Fender Rumble 150 (also didnt like that one) and a Marshal tube (way to metalic sound).

At this point he said: "I have this one amp here, that is a solid state amp, but you can trim it exactly like you want. Trust me, it will sound exactly like the sound you are looking for. It is a lot more expensive than your budget, but how about doing a partly trade with one of the basses?"
    Well to make a long story short, he got my Warwick bass (that I only paid 90$ for 5 months ago) and I paid 225€ (about 240$) - and I got this Ashdown amp. He was right, it does sound EXACTLY like the sound I was looking for. It is VERY sweet. I also didnt know that Ashdown was made by Trace Elliot - which I do know quit a bit :)

http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/3/MAG/34/MAG-C410T600-EVO-III-/

So I am now the happy owner of an awesome bass amp. Ashdown MAG C410T-600 EVO II.

So thank you for the help. It really did help when I tried the different amps. So thank you so much.

12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    *shrug* I think you got taken to the cleaners...

13. Oobly

Oobly

Hmmm. Don't know about that. It's a fairly valuable combo (they used to sell for over 600 euro new if I recall). Quite big, decently powerful and you can add a 2nd 410 cab later.

If it gives the tone he wants, I reckon it turned out very well.

14. jlepre

jlepre

Was the Ashdown USED or NEW? If NEW I think he got a nice deal.

15. bmc

bmc

Way to go Mbechman. That is a great giggable bass amp, new or used. Ashdown makes excellent gear. I doubt Pino Paladino would use them if they were crap.

If you like it, you will play often and your playing will improve.

Now hop on the tram and nail some liffy water down at Temple Bar, check out the tourists and celebrate.

16. bmc

bmc

I take it that you are familiar with gear prices in Europe, right? :eyebrow:

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... very cool ... a 600 watt/410 practice amp :)

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very nice I think you made a great choice congrats.

19. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

44kg is about 35-40kg more than what I would call "not big".

Probably a nice amp though. Enjoy!