1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which strings to get?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by djole94hns, Jan 31, 2014.

1. djole94hns

djole94hns

Hello guys,
    I am a new bass player, and I have played my bass guitar for like 4 months now. It was bought second-hand, so the strings on it are like a year old, to say the least. They already feel kind of worn out, so I was thinking about replacing them. So... I have no idea about strings. I know how to re-string a bass, but have no idea as far as dimensions are concerned, nor I know the materials (example: .040 - .060 - .075 - .095).
    I have a Yamaha RBX270, it is 34'' scale, and that is pretty much all I can tell about it. So... What do those dimesions mean, and what should I get?
    Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also take into consideration that I, from time to time, drop-tune it half-step down, so I would like the new strings, if possible, to not be too flabby :)
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Your yamaha is 34" scale, not 24".

The dimensions you mention are the string gauge. The thickness of each string.

40-95 is a fairly light set, which means they're looser, and easier to slap on. Often easier to play faster on for most people. They require a bit higher action to avoid buzzing.

I don't know what's available to you in Serbia, but if you're occasionally drop tuning, the 95 sting is a bit too light for that. You may want to try a 45-105 set.
  3. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Official Online Voice for GHS Strings & Rocktron
    Welcome aboard!

First, the scale of your bass is measured from the nut to the bridge, so your instrument is actually a standard 34" scale (it has 24 frets). This is important as there are many types of strings that are made for 34" instruments, 32" instruments (medium scale), 30" instruments (short scale), etc..

That said, probably a good all-around starter set of strings would be a nickel-plated steel string, which would be GHS Boomers, D'Addario XL, DR Nickel Lo-Riders, so on and so forth. Those sets are "basic" enough to give you a good start to find out what you prefer, what feels best, and how strings sound. From there you can use that as a base to gauge what other strings do.

As far as gauges go, I would probably recommend starting with a medium gauge (traditionally 45-65-85-105) for the aforementioned reasons, but also for retaining good tension when only drop-tuning a half-step.

Good luck!
  4. djole94hns

djole94hns

Yeah, sorry for typing 24'', I haven't slept all night :D Thanks for the advices, I think I get it now (at least some of it). :)
  5. edencab

edencab

hi .....question often asked: what style of music do you like and want to play?.

...having asked that, I have the exact model Yamaha...after a year of playing the stock rounds, for fun I replaced my strings with D'Addario XL 1/2 rounds.....just love them..I get any tone I like, low, warm to crisp and bright by using bass and amp EQ settings

...pretty sure yours is a 34" scale length bass, so make sure you don't say 24 at the store and they give you short scale strings, you need "lomg scale" length.
    ...D'Addario's are very popular, well loved and reasonable for beginners...Regular Light gauge is fine.......I put Fender 9050 Flat wound strings on my Fender Jazz..also a great set of strings, feel and tone .......you will get lots of opinions here for sure and this is a great thread for getting good information
    bassstringsonline.com is a good place to see almost all string manufacturers and the different types they have(great service too!) and lots of them have reviews for each brand/model
  6. djole94hns

djole94hns

Thanks, edencab! I am not really set on one genre, but currently I play blues with a band I'm in. And also, I just mistyped the 2 instead of 3, but you guys got what I meant ;)
    So, are these what I'm looking for? Took me some time to find them :)
    https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/big-photo-9813825-1.htm

They are 28 USD here in Serbia... A bit much for our standards, but I'll manage :)
  7. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Hvala!

I think those are the ones he is referring to. Nice set of strings.
  8. djole94hns

djole94hns

Found them again on a local music store's website now, they are on a discount ^^ almost 50% off!