Which sx should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kgibson414, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Kgibson414

Kgibson414

I've been looking through the Essex bass club and am falling in love with them.

Which is wonderful considering the price!

My question is, which model should I buy?!

As some of you may know, I recently purchased an sr500.
    While yes, that is more than enough bass for me, I've also been recently asked to jam and play gigs by a group of friends.
    They said they wondered when I would "fall off the deep end," hah.

I don't feel comfortable taking the sr500 around because I want to feel like I can thrash around ,or even move for that matter, with a lower priced bass in my hands.

Something I wouldn't mind getting road worn.

So, which one should I buy?
    They play rock, blues, jazz, punk. They pretty much play anything.
    Is there an sx that is that versitile or would I need multiple. Either one works for me!

Anyone?

2. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

If you like the SR500 (I certainly do) you might prefer to stay with the models with thinner necks, so any of the Jazz clones would work. An added bonus is that the two pickups with individual volumes is closer to the Ibanez's volume + blend knob than any of the P-clone single pickup basses, as far as versatility.
    A step up from that might be the ones with P & J pickups, but I don't know offhand what their necks are like.

3. Kgibson414

Kgibson414

I love the SR500!
    Haven't put it down since I got it.

Thanks for the advice though, I certainly do like thinner necks.

Also, I'm a bit confused on the names.
    What does the RN, JR, TR, MN in the names mean?

4. ibateur

ibateur

those letter codes might be more color/paint options.

You essentially have P or Jazz, 4,5 and 6 strings.

Try them both. I don't know if SX have different neck profiles. I like the Jazz that I got. The scale might be slightly longer than the Ibby though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeMayunn

DeMayunn

The letters indicate Color, Type or a Special feature in it. Like CAR - Candy Apple Red, JR - Junior 30" scale etc.

Also if you like small fast necks like Ibanez, Stay away from the SX P and P/J Basses, they have the Chunkiest, Largest feeling necks i have ever played. The J-basses seem to have finer necks, be sure to check the nut-width before you buy a model.

7. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames

RN- rosewood neck
    MN- maple neck

I'm trying to decide which sx I want too.. think I might just get a p/j and a j since they're so cheap.:D

8. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

No matter which SX you get, the neck will likely be thicker than your ibby. So I would agree with those saying get the J, and unless you know you like chunky necks, I would go with a 4 first. Don't be afraid of chunky necks, though. My first bass was a Yammy that also had a thinner neck than SX, but when I discovered and got my first SX, I found home!

Also, if you want a passive bass that, after my mods in the thread, can cover a LOT of ground, see:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-sx-content-948401

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yeah, I've got an Ibby 506 and a bunch of SX Jazz. The necks on the SX are indeed fatter. Fatter than my real Fender Jazz. Oddly I love the thin Ibby and ALSO love the fatter SX. Both very different but each doing it's thing very nicely! But the neck profile on the real Fender is my least favorite.

And Yeah, got my first SX to be my no-worry bar bass. Well that was OK for a while and then they changed the headstock and suddently my bar bass became valuable vintage! This is hard to believe, but I actually bought a new Ursa because I didn't want to drag my "classic" SX headstock model around to dive bars anymore! :D But when the price is right, the "you can never own too many basses" rule really works!

10. Kgibson414

Kgibson414

Thanks for the info guys!

I've been looking at them for a few days now and reading through the essex club thread.

I'm pretty sold on them and I'm sure I'll choose one soon!

Has anyone had any experience with the Hadean EB-510 TWR?
    I noticed it today on their site. Looks a lot like my ibby.
    I wonder how it plays?

And also to be clear, I'm not sure if I like fatter necks or not yet. I've played multiple basses but all had thin necks similar to my SR500.
    Maybe it's time I go to guitar center and try some?
    Are there any specific basses I should try that feel similar to an sx?

11. Kgibson414

Kgibson414

Bump!

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd just bump this.

So, like I asked before, does anyone have any experience with the Hadean EB-510 TWR?
    (http://www.rondomusic.com/eb510twr.html)

12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Neck looks a bit chunkier than the usual Ibanez neck, from the pix, anyway.

Looks about the quality of a low end SoundGear. If there's a weak link, it's probably the bridge.

And that single silver screw in the pickups.

13. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

Buy yourself an Ibanez gsr200. It's cheap, sounds great, and will feel more familiar seeing as you already love your Ibby.