1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which television to buy for around $500 - $600?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Shopping for a new set. Looking for about 50 inches. Undecided on LCD or plasma. Any suggestions?

2. pedroims

pedroims

I am very happy with my Sharp Aquos, I bought it 5 years ago and not issues at all, I will get a new TV next year but only because I want a bigger screen.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Plasma has a much higher tendency to burn an image than LCD.

4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Panasonic left the plasma market at the end of last year, which sucks because they made some of the best and because they support their products better than most. LG and Samsung still make plasma and I still think it's the most realistic-looking.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hover

hover

I have a 50" Samsung Plasma, and it is everything I could want in a screen. Beautiful picture, true blacks, and, the sound is pretty good too. Fantastic build quality too.

It was about 600 and change.

One thing tho, if your room has a lot of sunlight or other high intensity light sources, it's gonna impair your viewing experience as the screen glass is very reflective.

7. Einherjar

Einherjar

+1 on this. I managed to pick up my little brother a 38" Samsung plasma for about $400 for Christmas. Excellent picture quality. He's really happy with it. (Replaced a 15 year old 20" tube box thing that was dying lol)

8. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

I'm definitely a Samsung guy. My parents have a 46" lcd and it's easily the best TV in the house, and everyone that comes by for movies, etc comments on how bright and sharp it is. I also have a 40" Samsung LCD and it's much nicer and brighter looking then the 32" LG I used to own.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

BTW- if you go to Best Buy, be aware that the TVs that look best are the ones they want to sell and the ones that look bad have bee set that way, for a reason. Brighter DOES NOT equal better. True black, great skin tones and even, balanced colors with no major variations across the screen are important. Those of us in the AV business are NOT happy that Panasonic stopped making plasma TVs.

10. ddhm

ddhm

Samsung LCD. I've installed thousands of consumer and pro grade TVs in my career as an A/V installer and the Samsungs have the absolute best picture quality out there. You might pay a little more but it's worth it.

11. ZenG

ZenG

Plasma is on the way out.......some makers have already discontinued them.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

We are on year seven with our Panasonic plasma. It turns on and shows me images that look really nice coming from cable TV and the XBOX. I would buy this TV again. The cable box is HDMI, the XBOX is component cables.

-Mike

13. hover

hover

Yeah, but that is not commentary to they're being inferior. At all.

I never understood why they weren't more popular other they were more complex / expensive to produce....it's the whole VHS v Beta thing again...LCD / LED have NOTHING on Plasma save for weight.

14. Richland123

Richland123

I will never buy anything by Samsung ever again. They have the worst warranty and customer service in the business. I only write from experience and knowing their warranty rules compared to other companies.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I dated a girl for a handful of years and she went through about 6 Samsung cell phones that just died on her for no good reason. Luckily, her carrier kept replacing them for her.

From then on, we referred to anything that is a piece of **** as a 'Samsung'. Or even "I have to find the restroom to drop a Samsung".

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

17. ZenG

ZenG

I believe I read that Plasma's generally don't have screens with as fast a response time as others......if you want fast response time you need to go faster than Plasma....for everyday viewing I guess it doesn't make too much of a difference though.......

18. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

You heard wrong, plasma is the fastest. I really dig my 51" LG plasma. Got it for $500 a few years ago on Boxing Day.

lowsound

19. ZenG

ZenG

ok....I looked it up....you are correct.....sorry.

20. Icey101

Icey101

Sony 200HZ 55 inch, Look for this model, is has a minimum lag input for your PS4 online gaming :)

21. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I have several plasmas and LEDs of different sizes from 32" up to 60". My favorite however is my 42" LED Hitachi. I don't know why, but I like it the best. It's not the most expensive one I own, but hey who cares.