1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which to try first?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 7, 2013.

1. JACink

JACink

Some of you may have read my thread a few days ago complaining about gear in Europe, anyways, after much advice received in that thread, I have been looking into Barefaced, but due to current finance situation, that will have to wait a while.

So, I have decided to make the most of the 30 day return policy from Thomann, however, I do need to pay the return shipping on the cab if I don't like it, so I would like to get it right in the first few tries if possible!!

I have set myself a limit of 400 euros (although there are acouple I could strech to if they are really worth it, putting the Barefaced option off even longer). I will be using this for Hip-Hop, Reggae, Punk, Blues, Flamenco and also other Pop stuff, so versatility is needed. Also, it needs to work well with the B string (mainly for the Hip Hop and Reggae). We have PA for the Hip Hop concerts, but not for the other stuff nor rehearsal.

It will be running Bass>ZoomB3>PowerAmp>Cab, so power is not an issue (2x300W@4Ohm,1200W Bridged, 2Ohm Stable etc.)

Here is the list of cabs that I have available from Thomann in this price range:

Fender Rumble 112
    EBS CL 112
    Hartke HX112 HyDrive
    Ashdown MAG115T
    Hartke 115 B XL
    Hartke VX115
    Marshall MBC115
    Ampeg PF-115LF
    TC Electronic BC212
    Kustom DE410H
    Laney RB410
    Fender Rumble 410
    Ashdown MAG410T
    Hartke 410 B XL
    Hartke VX 410
    Peavey 410 TVX EX
    Eden EX410SC
    Hartke 4.5 B XL
    Kustom DE610H

Or I could get 2 of:

2x Kustom DE115H
    2x Kustom Deep End 210H

If it is really worth it, I could also stretch to:

1x Gallien Krueger 115MBE-II
    1x Gallien Krueger 212MBE-II
    1x TC Electronic BC410
    1x Gallien Krueger 410MBE

2x Kustom DE410H
    2x Laney RB115 Richter
    2x Peavey 115TVX
    2x Ashdown MAG115T

3x Kustom Deep End 210H

Oh knowledgeable guru's of TalkBass, please guide me as to which I should try first! :bassist:

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. Well, it seems you want LOW END, LOUD and CHEAP, and you don't have any 215s or 412s on your list, so maybe start with the 410 cabs and work your way down in cone surface 212, 115, 210, 112, etc.

I'd get the Gallien Krueger 212MBE-II/8. Get the 8ohm version now, and add a second 212MBE-II/8 later when you have more money.

3. JACink

JACink

I do have 2x Kustom DE115H on the list or I can stretch to 2x Laney RB115 Richter, 2x Peavey 115TVX or 2x Ashdown MAG115T, if it is worth it.

Unfortunately no 412's in the current price range. I could stretch to the GK 212MBE-II, and add the MB112 that I already have (making a 312), but I am not sure if that will work well together, or if the GK 212 handles the B string well.

Thanks for the input.

4. The Rage

The Rage

I have heard a spector 5 string played through a GK MB 212 II (the combo) and the sound was impressive!!! Well defined and powerful. It's not the most silent combo I've heard but i think it's great. I don't think there will be too much difference with the cab...

Excuse my english

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JACink

JACink

Thank you Rage. Wad it at loud volumes, or just practice levels?

(Your English is fine!)

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

While not as large as what you get in USA, the choice in Europe is wide and in case of special needs international sellers have no problem selling stuff to you.
    Were you living in Nigeria or Indonesia, there would be real reasons to complain.

400 really isn't a lot and if you buy new, cabs all sound pretty much the same at this price point. No real need to do comparisons and pay mail fees that will cut on your overall budget in the end.
    Go used and local as much as possible.

If you really want to go new, get a lot of lows and get heard for cheap, you have to carry a big cab. 410 would be ideal. From your list, I'd go Laney or Hartke.

8. JACink

JACink

Thanks Jazz Ad. Unfortunately local or used is not an option, but I will not go into details as I already complained enough in the previous thread :D (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/envy-why-everything-europe-so-difficult-rant-1035602/)

I have set the limit of 400 because I am really interested in a Barefaced sometime in the near future, but I need to sell gear etc. first. And an extra cab is not a bad thing (I can leave it at rehearsal etc.)

You recommend Hartke or Laney in a 410, so which of these would you try first?

Laney RB410
    Hartke 410 B XL
    Hartke VX 410
    Hartke 4.5 B XL

Thanks again!

9. JACink

JACink

Anyone have any more input? (pleeeease)

10. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Maybe a powered speaker, since you have a preamp?

11. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Have you contacted the european authorized fEARful builder, like I advised you to in your other thread?
    None of the cabs on your list a particulary itching me. My call would go for a GK. I know they are not deep low and clean but from the overall performance I always found GK the most easy to handle.

12. JACink

JACink

Yes, I have been looking at various ways, but I am pretty much set on a Barefaced Big Twin as the end to my GAS, but unfortunately that will have to wait for a while.

I was just thinking that an extra cab may come in handy, to leave at rehearsal with one of the groups, and to use in the mean time until I can [DEL]afford[/DEL], [DEL]warrant[/DEL], explain to the wife why I [DEL]need[/DEL], want to spend that kind of cash on a cab! :D

I have also been looking at cabs from a German builder, FMC, that seem to be good value for money.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    8 ohm Gallien Krueger 115MBE-II or 8 ohm Gallien Krueger 212MBE-II. Add a second identical 8 ohm cab, and forget the fEARful or Barefaced...or just save a while longer and deal with the pain until you can get a fEARful or Barefaced.

14. JACink

JACink

Thanks for the input Jim. GK seems to be the consensus.

How transparent are the GK cabs when used with a power amp? It would be nice if I could get a good idea of what I am sending to FOH from the B3 while on stage.

I have the GK MB112, does the 212MBE-II sound just like 2 of these, or is it a different flavour?

15. Jim C

Jim C

+1
    maybe a Hartke if you like the sound
    Stay away from the off brand cheaper items as they do not sell well used and usually offer big sonic compromises