1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Travel Credit Card to Get?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new credit card for travel.

Torn between the United Mileage Plus Explorer card, which gets me more airline miles, but I don't ALWAYS fly United. And the Marriott Rewards Premier Card, but I don't ALWAYS book Marriott.

United earns more miles faster, Marriott gets points for hotel rooms. United I get two club passes a year, Marriott I get one free night a year.

United will not get me to Silver Elite status with the card. Marriott will get me to Silver Elite status, but I can manage that on my own. I don't think I'll ever get to gold. I just don't travel enough.

When I'm in places like DC or Boston, I'll typically drive, not fly, so that would be an advantage for Marriott. Another plus for Marriott is no foreign transaction fees.

Everything on the back end is the same. Same bank. Same APR's and the annual fees are negligible.

So my question to you, which would you pick and why? Do any of you have these cards? Thoughts?

Creditdonkey.com actually did a comparison of the two here, but I'm still torn. United got the better rating, but Marriott might be more advantageous for me.

http://www.creditdonkey.com/united-mileageplus-explorer_marriott-rewards-premier.html
  2. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Both have hefty annual fees. If u want to avoid foreign transaction fees without paying nearly $100/yr for the card go with capital one.
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Basically, after almost ten years my other credit card lowered the rate at which I accumulate points and jacked up my APR. Not exactly happy.

I'll keep them as a backup, but that's about it. I need a card that earns me useful rewards instead of a $100 check a year.
  4. tplyons

tplyons

$85 isn't a hefty fee in my opinion. And that's negated by the free night certificate I get annually.
  5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Get a Citi Card Dividend card and accumulate cash on purchases throughout the year regardless of hotel or airline. You redeem the cash and use it for whatever.
  6. tplyons

tplyons

I've got something similar now. My $30,000 (currently charging my mba program as well) in annual purchases yields $200 in cash a year. I know I can do better.
  7. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Disclosures:
    i got paid for a gig once.
    capital one for the lower fx fees, but read the fine print first :)
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I may be doing it wrong, but I use the LOWEST interest rate card, period. No miles, no gimmicks, no other stuff that increases the interest rate. Any card that gives you "stuff" is paying for it with the interest rate they charge.

I do track frequent flyer miles and have those accounts with everyone.

I may be doing it wrong, but it works for me. The card I use is a Simmons First at 7.5%. http://www.simmonsfirst.com/personal_banking/credit_cards.aspx
  9. mkandolf

mkandolf

Is this for company business? They should be footing the bill on their cards.

Personal travel? Put it on debit card.
  10. tplyons

tplyons

I use my corporate card often, this is for personal travel and personal spending to get points for more travel. I charge everything and pay it off in full at the end of the month.

I'm looking for rewards that lessen the cost of my travels.
  11. ADbassman

ADbassman

Company business card + sign up for whatever rewards program that hotel/airline offers and reap the benefits. I got sent to Atlanta for training and got 3 free nights at a Marriott for the trouble.
  12. tplyons

tplyons

Oh, I totally reap reward benefits. Both Marriott and United. One of the perks of traveling whenever the company needs me to.