1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which truss rod wrench for a 78 Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SF_Bassist, Feb 5, 2014.

1. SF_Bassist

SF_Bassist

Can someone confirm for me what is the correct size allen wrench to use for adjusting the truss rod on a 78 Fender Jazz bass?

On mine, the 9/64th wrench seems too big and 1/8 fits loosely in the nut. I assume the allen wrench should fit snugly in the nut. I have confirmed the nut is not stripped.

I want to proceed cautiously with this as it is my first truss rod adjustment.

Thanks.
  2. pfox14

pfox14

should be 3/16"
  3. dju

dju

4. dju

dju

p.s., I noticed that when the bullet nut was not on the bass the allen wrench felt nice and snug. My original bullet nut felt loose so I replaced it. and when I installed the new one it felt loose. and the old one when removed felt better than when it was installed. I wonder if something gets in the way after it has been tightened up and prevents the allen wrench from completely inserting into the nut.

dj
  5. SF_Bassist

SF_Bassist

Thanks for the replies. I threw caution to the wind and tried the 1/8" wrench. Using less than an 1/4 of one turn to loosen the rod, the clanking sound is now gone. So far, everything seems fine. The nut turned easily and without much force.