which wah should i get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unemploid, Jan 9, 2014.

Which bass wah should i get

Poll closed Apr 19, 2014.
  1. Morley Bass Wah

31 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. EBS Wah One

9 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. EBS Stanley Clarke Wah

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. EHX Crying Wah Fuzz

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Other

50 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. Unemploid

Unemploid

i keep asking this, but this time i've narrowed it down. also, let me no if any of these are analog or not. btw, i looking for a drummer for our band.

i play rock, but a wah with funk or little funk is ok, i'm looking for low end mostly.

morley bass wah - i don't know if i like this wah's sweep. also, most likely sounds better in person.

ebs wah one - low pass filter, not much so say.

ebs clarke stanley - i like the sound of this one, but too many modes. that's not a bad thing, just i mostly will keep it a low pass, but fun to play around, options.

ehx crying wah - i like you can increase the low end. i have a fuzz. the fuzz sound this pedal makes doesn't sell me on this pedal, but the wah sound with my fuzz pedal may be something interesting. sweep seems weird to me.

the 105q crybaby bass wah - i like this one, i tryed this in person couple of times, but it sucks to much tone. i would need to by pass it somehow. one video i saw of the ebs clarke sounded like a better 105q.

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

A true by pass would be that big a deal for the 105Q. It's got a fat sound and they are regulatory available.

And remember if you don't like take advantage of the TB classifieds so someone else will buy it.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    When I was shopping for a wah I wanted a lot of sweep range and just good dynamics. Im sure there are better ones out there, but I would go with the 105q. Thats what I did and I am pretty happy. Again, its not the best out there but it is damn good, and I found mine for $40. You cant beat it IMO.

4. Unemploid

Unemploid

yeah i could get a 105q for cheap.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

105Q is my favorite wah other than an old Morley PWB.

7. Lowest End

Lowest End

I tried several and thought I just wasn't a fan of bass wah (tone suck, poor Q sweep, etc - the usual complaints).

I found none of those to be a problem with the EBS Wah One, so I bought it and love it. I've heard the Stanley Clarke version is excellent, but for the price difference probably not worth it.

I saw go EBS.

8. Unemploid

Unemploid

yeah i knew the clarke was going to be pricy,then i saw the price. maybe one day, but i'm going with the wah one, if I'm getting a wah from ebs.

9. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    try an envelope filter, they're practically the same as a wah pedal, only you control the sweep with your hands

10. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

105Q is my vote. Love mine just make sure you get one where you can adjust the cutoff delay after releasing the pedal.

11. JSpradBass

JSpradBass Supporting Member

The 105Q is still my go to.

12. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

13. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Has anyone considered the Bass Chiwahwah?

14. Unemploid

Unemploid

i wanna know why people voted for morley or the crying wah? also, i should have put in the crybaby in the poll, and/or more wahs like glab wah.

15. Unemploid

Unemploid

i'm liking the chi wah wah

16. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Moog Lowpass/expression pedal

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

Make sure you ask around a lot by who's used it and watch a lot of YouTubes. I thought I wanted it too then I asked around more. It may be perfect for you but of the testimonials I've heard, it sounds thin and the sweep isn't that great. Again, never tried it myself so I don't know for sure. But I asked around to some reliable sources.

18. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

I've tried several, ebs wah one, dunlop, g-lab wowee wah, 3 different morleys, enigma q-balls with expression pedal, SA BEF pro with exp pedal. My fav was the g-lab. Fairly tweakable, built like a tank, sounded great. Q-balls was a fairly close second, only gripe, too easy to bump a knob and lose your setting. The morley TM Stevens sounds pretty good too. I've got one for sale in the classifieds right now. ;) I'm back to using the SA BEF pro with exp pedal,...covers wah and filter needs, plus some pretty nice phaser tones as well. The G-Lab is still my fav though, never shoulda sold it. :rollno:

19. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I have issue with old school Wah's...I find having to step and go nose first, or stepping on a switch to turn them on not to mention all the moving parts (cable, potentiometer etc.) a pain the backside...

I prefer Optical Wah's

and My favorite is the Ibanez Weeping Demon

It actually has a bass setting...which they don't advertise for some odd reason

it works as an auto wah (as soon as you put your foot on it it's on) or like a old school wah (footswitch)

Level, Q, Lo, Auto Switch delay time, Treble fine tune, Foot Switch/Auto Switch mode selector, Range switch, pedal friction and spring tension screws

It has an automatic switching option that can be activated by placing the lever in rear position. If the player pushes the pedal forward, the wah effect will automatically engage. If you take your foot off the pedal, it will automatically disengage. It also lets you adjust its sensitivity/range, or dial in a new sound. It’s got two different modes to engage the wah (Auto-wah and Footswitch.)

Super tweekable!!

Knobs are spring loaded so once you get it set push them down in the body and no need to worry about bumping them!!

[​IMG]

and can be found used everywhere for about $50.00

I like it so much i have two...one on my bass board and one on my guitard board

20. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv Supporting Member

Voted for the wah one. Mine has been on my board for years. Tried and did not like the Dunlop and Morley.

21. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I couldn't vote on this poll since I haven't tried enough wahs (even though I have owned 5 or so including Morleys and an early bass Crybaby).

My favorites so far was a Snarling Dog with the light-up eyes, but I know they have many models so I don't know which is best.

My main wah currently is the Earthquake pedal by Musician Sound Design. When I kick it in, all hell breaks loose, so ideally I would have that and a more normal (less sensitive) pedal.

The Earthquake is so loud and powerful, there's an awesome thing I can do with it: for a 'sub-woofer' effect, I will hit a bass note on the B-string while stomping briefly on the pedal with my heel. This is great for accents that last only an 8th note or so and ensures that the effect won't wear off on listeners.