Which Warwick for me?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by squeally dan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Supporting Member

Playing in a wedding band -Kool and the Gang, Cameo, Coomodoores, Earth, Wind, & Fire. Want to get something a bit different from my jazz bass. I am looking in the 600-1000 range, depending on a few sales I am working on. I don't mind buying used and would probablt prefer it. What Warwick would fit this description? Also, for now I am sticking with 4 strings. THANKS!
  2. socialleper

socialleper

New, the only thing you can get is a Rock Bass or Standard Corvette or Streamer. The Corvette will sound like a thicker J bass. Used you can get a German $$, LX or maybe a beat bolt on Thumb. Those are all very different sound wise when compared to a regular J bass. I'm not sure which tone would work best for you, but if you play slap a cheap Thumb is pretty cool
  3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

in a 4 string version of course...
  4. Herrick

Herrick

Corvette Standards sound amazing but it has a Jazz Bass setup. How about a Corvette $$? You'd get a lot of tonal options out of it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Those are few and far between and way above the OP's budget. That was a limited edition.
  7. TechJunky

TechJunky Supporting Member

I would say Corvette $$ or Streamer LX. Both can be had within your budget and pop up semi regularly.
  8. Means2nEnd

wooops for got about the budget. I own one and love it that's why I thought of it without thinking of the original budget.
  9. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

I am a fan of the FNA Jazzman. They are almost always found used for less than $1k and is without a doubt the most versatile Warwick I've owned.

Do a few searches on Youtube. They have a Jazz pickup and a MusicMan-style humbucker, so you can get aggressive or mellow, and anywhere in between. Great tone for pick, slap, and fingers.
  10. socialleper

socialleper

+1 to this for sound and playability. Price I'm not so sure about though. They seem to keep their value pretty well, with a lot of used hovering around $1400. If you can get one around $1k that isn't totally jacked up, that would be a good purchase.
  11. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I personally am a huge fan of the streamer jazzman.....however used might be between 1000-1350. I have owned a lot of wicks. The fna jazzman is cool too, however I prefer the neck profile and the body style of the streamer
  12. Buslady7803

Buslady7803

Hunt GC used, Corvette standards run $500-700ish, so freaking worth it. It's usually passive, but actives pop up here & there.
  13. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

I've bought two within the last year, one for $900, one for $750. Both 5 strings in fine used shape. They're out there :)
  14. Means2nEnd

I put some emails out there to big e-stores and retailers I'll get back with anything I find out. With NAMM a week away or so everything is slowed down for day to day stuff and communications and that's where the big focus is.
  15. Means2nEnd

OK so here’s the deal the Streamer Stage 1 pro Korean Warwicks they were never released or brought into the USA. They will be announcing it at NAMM that they will bring in a few 4 and 5 stringers. The only color option for them will be natural high polish. The guy I spoke with from Musician’s Heaven said he could right now special order a 4 or a 5 string with an 8-12 week wait time and the 4 will run approximately $1,499 and the 5 string $1,599. Maybe after NAMM you can get one easily when some retailers stock them. That’s the best most accurate info I could find for you guys.
  16. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

That is great news. Now let's see when it comes into fruition.
  17. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    I will be very interested to see these........:hyper:
  18. squeally dan

squeally dan Supporting Member

Picked up the used 2012 Pro series Corvetter standard Ash with upgraded pickups that was listed here. Any thoughts?
  19. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    Price seemed pretty good, especially given the cost of the pickup and pre swap. It's too bad you did not get it with the original electronics too. I'd sure like to know what putting Nordstrand guts into a Wick does..........especially in comparsion to the MECs that came stock.......
  20. Means2nEnd

I have tried Seymour Duncan pickups, MEC pickups, Bartolini Pickups, EMG pickups in Corvettes with different combinations of stock MEC pre amps, EMG pre amps, Bartolini pre amps, Seymour Duncan pre amps, Aguilar OBP3 pre amps and all of the above in all the combinations possible and after a few years of experimentation “my tone” is my Streamer Stage II German with EMG active J pups and a Seymour Duncan 3 band with the push pull slap contour it is absolutely the most versatile killer fat clear but thick and fat tone. That’s been my experience and it works all the way through all the adjustments on the Duncan pre amp all usable tones doesn’t blow up or go mud city and can be tame or rip you skin off your skull. Just sayin…..

Below is my beast my monster my main bass 2005 SS2 it just is simply the best all around electronics combo and wood I have ever touched and I bought it new old stock and if you guys knew what I paid for it you would loose it..
  21. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    I too have had many warwicks with literally the same pickups and preamps as you. I gravitate to my 2005 streamer jazzman and 2006 Streamer Stage 2 5er, both have stock pickups and preampa and the Streamer Jazzman is my #1

HOWEVER..........I really liked the bartolini p/j combo with an aguilar obp-3 in my 1991 neck through streamer.......