1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

which way do i turn truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bjazz, May 18, 2003.

1. Bjazz

Bjazz

which way do i turn the truss rod to lower the action on my carvin bass?
    the neck is glued on w/ access to rod thru the head stock:confused:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Turning clock-wise straightens the neck.
    Do only a quarter-turn at a time and let it set overnight.

3. SwilsonR

SwilsonR

wouldn't a bridge adjustment be better suited to change the action?

4. Wil Davis

Wil Davis

You're right-on about the quarter-turn at a time, but as far as direction... well, it ain't necessarily so - check out the Users Manual on the Warwick web-site - it's possible for some Warwick truss-rods to be fitted the wrong way around, and so they operate in reverse.

- Wil

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

take it to a pro to fix,it's the only way unless you know what your doing,and judgeing by your question you don't,don't feel bad though,i asked this question about 4 months ago.

7. goran

goran

No, if action is too high, better is to straighten neck and then to adjust action on bridge. I remember when I got my bass. Action was way too high for my taste. No bridge adjustment would make it good.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

That's maybe 1 in 1000...

9. pkr2

pkr2

I respectfully disagree with this. The truss rod is NOT AN ACTION ADJUSTMENT even though it can have an effect on the action. The truss rod has only one function and that is to create the proper relief in the neck.

Pkr2

10. goran

goran

I know that truss rod serves to give proper relief, but it significantly affects action/buzzing on lower frets.
    What I ment was that if neck has too much relief, action is so high that you can't lower it with only saddle adjustment. Setting the action is combination of adjusting neck and bridge. Believe me.
    For the last 3 months I'm fighting a battle with action on my Fender Jazz MIM. After only minor humidity or temperature difference, action gets higher or lower. Just as I get lowest possible action and enjoy in it for maybe a week, I have to adjust it again. I took it to a local set-up guy and payed him to make it right. He did exactly what I did (I cold save that money), and again, after 8 days - same problem.

My point is (beside that I should return bass as long it is under warranty) that I know some things about setup. Not much, but enough.
    For example, how would you eliminate string buzzing between second and fifth or sixth fret? You could do it with saddle adjustment, but at the end you would get really high action on higher frets. I would first give some relief to neck and then adjust it at bridge. You both will probably agree with me on this one.

11. moley

moley

Hey Josh, can you comment on neck relief on a fretless?

12. goran

goran

I like low action myself, but I'm somehow worried that I will ruin truss rod by adjusting it every now and then.

13. goran

goran

Well, I have to adjust neck 3 or 4 times a month. Do you think warranty covers this (I bought my bass new 3 or 4 months ago)?

I'm college student and money is a BIG issue for me. I'm starting to think that I got ANOTHER lemon. First jazz bass that I bought had crack on headstock, which I noticed a few days after I brought it home. I returned it and had to wait 3 full months 'till this one arrived. I'm starting to seriously doubt in quality of instruments that Fender ships overseas.

Or maybe. I just don't have luck...

14. goran

goran

Climate in part of Croatia where I live is not extreme. We have cold winters and hot summers, but temperatures don't change significantly during the short period. Action changes when I go to place when we practice. It is basement, about 10¤C colder than outside temperature, and more humid. I ususally set it up in that way that buzz occurs if I dig it any harder than light touch. After few hours in that place, it starts to buzz on all lower frets, especially on G and E string. I noticed that change in tension don't affect action that much when it is set up in medium height (what is to be expected). I know that I can't get really ultra low action on this one (I had Warwick Corvette Proline and I could get it, but I didn't like the tone).
    And no, I don't change strings that often (in fact, factory installed strings are still on it - again, money....)

I will sure take it to someone to take a look before I consider returning it.

Anyway I really appreciate your help, thanks.

15. goran

goran

Climate in part of Croatia where I live is not extreme. We have cold winters and hot summers, but temperatures don't change significantly during the short period. Action changes when I go to place when we practice. It is basement, about 10¤C colder than outside temperature, and more humid. I ususally set it up in that way that buzz occurs if I dig it any harder than light touch. After few hours in that place, it starts to buzz on all lower frets, especially on G and E string. I noticed that change in tension don't affect action that much when it is set up in medium height (what is to be expected). I know that I can't get really ultra low action on this one (I had Warwick Corvette Proline and I could get it, but I didn't like the tone).
    And no, I don't change strings that often (in fact, factory installed strings are still on it - again, money....)

I will sure take it to someone to take a look before I consider returning it.

Anyway I really appreciate your help, thanks.