Which way to audition a drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I'm putting a band together and have decided to begin auditioning drummers. Me and my singer/rhythm guitarist can't seem to decide between a bunch of Who songs(we love it when drummers play like Keith Moon) or a jam based audition. Which do you think is more practical and why??

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Having also been a drummer for about 12 years...

My advice to you is that it's best to have a song setlist. This way, the drummer knows what's expected of them prior to the audition. Play through those songs as best you can and if there's time, then have a jam.

Remember that personality is very important in bandmates, too. Sometimes, the best player isn't the best person to be around and in the end that will create more problems than it will solve. You want a good player that is easy to get along with.
  3. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Our set list mostly consist of lengthy originals at this point.
  4. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Get two covers and an easier original together, make a little disc of the three songs and arrange to meet the drummer to give them the music. Make it super quick and casual as to not waste their time.
    Tell them to contact you when they're ready.
  5. lustersilk

lustersilk

It's better to audition using actual material that you will play. Do you have recordings of your stuff. If so I would email mp3s to the candidate, and set the audition for a week later.

If not, then pick some covers that you know and use those. Three to five songs is a good amount.
  6. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I'm sure you can whack out 'Substitute' and 'My Generation' as tester pieces, if that's the vibe you're looking for.
  7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Our usual opening number is an 19-minute version of "Amazing Journey."
  8. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

If your applicant drools out of both corners of their mouth, the candidate is level-headed, and that's about as much as you can hope for in a drummer.
  9. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I take it you dig the Who's live bootlegs?
  10. nojj

nojj Guest

Which way to audition a drummer?

At Gunpoint
  11. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I guess it's a tired old joke. Carry on.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Since you're playing originals send them your songs so they can learn them. If you like what they do, cool. If not, move on.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Pick a couple of covers and send him 2 or 3 originals to learn. It will be easier to judge his ability by playing songs which have structure rather than jamming. You can always jam at the end of the audition to see how he improvises.