Which wireless system should I buy?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by hsoderberg, Apr 13, 2014.

1. hsoderberg

hsoderberg

I have been looking at buying a wireless system for a while now and I have settled for Line6 as the brand.

I was primarily looking at the G55 as a possible candidate until I saw a deal on Thomann yesterday.
    It was the V(what now?)75 relay with the RX55 bodypack as well as a Tele-MiniXLR) marketed as "Line6 XD-V55/RX75 Guitar Bundle".

It was considerably less expensive (at 298€) than the G55 (at 348€) and features a display but something seems off about this deal for me. The "V" series is made for Vocals. It couldn't possibly handle the output of a bass guitar, right?

I play a Sandberg California VM5 and need to get a wireless system that can handle the out put of my low B. Should I pay more for the G55 and get something that is known to work reasonably well or go for the V75?

2. hsoderberg

hsoderberg

Also is there a big difference between G50 and G55? G50 seems a little more manageable to carry around.

3. SiSoldier

SiSoldier

I have yet to see anybody using the G55 live but I can honestly say that I love my G50 wireless unit. The G55 receiver is bigger than the G50 which would make it a bit more ideal for a rack set but I thought the G90 was meant for that. I leave the antennas facing inward in a 'closed' position in the back of my rack and I have never had a problem with reception, just keep an eye on your batteries. With 12 channels, it is more than enough to cover possible frequency issues. I've seen the G50 in countless pedalboard set ups and stand behind it 100%.

4. hsoderberg

hsoderberg

Thank you for the feedback!

I don't really use racks yet (mostly playing competitions and pubs, no tours) so I don't really have to worry about stuff like that.

From your comment and what I've read about the G50 on other threads it seems like the best way to go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Our guitarist has a G55 and I use a G50.
    The G55 gives you a balanced XLR output and a 1/4" unbalanced. Also, the G55 transmitter comes with a METAL TA4F jack, the G50's jack is plastic(!). Both transmitters work fine on Eneloop AA's, we have not bought disposable AA's in years.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I used to have a G50 and now use a G55. It works great. Many here vouch for quality of performance. The receiver is bigger than the G50's but not by that much. If you get a G55 and later decide to go with a rack, all you'll need are rack ears.

Line 6 Relay G55 product data:
    http://line6.com/relay-g55/

Dimensions are 8" wide x 6" deep x 1.75" tall (1U)

Line 6 Relay G55 rack-mount kit info (scroll down):
    http://line6.com/wireless-accessories/

The long support arm on the rack can be easily placed on either side of the G55 receiver to suit the configuration of your rack. (Note the alternate position shown in the last photo.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like in a rack. DeMonique and rack not included.
    [​IMG]

8. the explode man

the explode man

I have a G90 and a G50 and recommend both units. I got the G50 recently because I wanted everything on my pedal board. In most cases, I'm sure the G55 is fine over the G90. The G90 just has a better display and 300 ft of range vs 200 ft on the G55/50, but I'm not sure that really counts for much.

9. CQC6

CQC6

Doesn't the G55 have a 300ft range as well?
    I thought I seen that somewhere.

I just bought a G55, waiting on it to arrive.
    I hope it's great.