Which wireless system?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Red_Label, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Red_Label

Red_Label

I'm a long-time lead guitar player who's been through several wireless systems over the years, but swore them off years ago because they affected my tone.

Fast-forward to now... I'm mostly playing bass these days and am considering a wireless system, because I don't run any FX (just my Sterling 4/5/fretless basses into a GK head, into Eden cabs). I don't want to spend a fortune on some high-end full-rack system. The little Line 6 pedal type receiver interests me. But maybe there are some half-rack size units that I should consider. What about types of systems... ie UHF, etc? Things have changed a lot since I used to run the old true diversity systems for guitar in the 90s. Can I get a system that won't affect my tone? I don't need big distances. Just want something that will free me from having to use a cable and give me a little freedom. Thanks in advance for your advice/insight.
  2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Line 6 "G" series. None better IMO. In fact, many say that it sounds better than a cable.
  3. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    +1. I've got a Relay G50. LUV it.
  4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Oops. I left out the word "Relay". Yep, the Relay G series. I wouldn't use any other type.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hobbes1

hobbes1

I bought an AKG WMS40 mini for $75. I love it and my bass tone through it was not compromised. Is it as great as the Relay? Maybe not but costs a LOT less.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, G50/G55. A few years and hundreds of gigs without a single problem (other than stupid me not changing the batteries and it died mid gig)
  8. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Media:
    Also very happy with the Relay system (G90), definitely as good as - or better than a cable :)
  9. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Another +1 for the Line 6 G50. Indistinguishable from a cable in my opinion, very solid all metal construction.
  10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Better than a bad cable, anyway. +1 on the recommendation. I dislike most Line6 effects and amps, but those wireless designs are still far and away the best mass-produced units out there.

If you get one, though, I strongly suggest getting one of those little neoprene or leather pouches for the transmitter, both to protect from the inevitable low-altitude drops, and provide a more benign means of attachment to strap or belt than the integrated clip.
  11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

G30 here. Roughly 3 years old and still working fine. Except for needing the pouch to hold it because the belt clip broke off.
  12. Cirk

Cirk

What do you folks think of the AKG wireless bug? I like the idea of no needing a belt pack, is there a better unit out there for this?
  13. grey area

grey area

i have the bottom of the line g 30 and find it liberating. you just have to watch the flimsy battery compartment, apart from that it performs great. i wonder if the more robust g50 transmitter works with the g30 reciever?
  14. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

16. Red_Label

Red_Label

Wow... thanks for the replies guys. I will be looking into the Relay!

Edit: I'm liking what I'm seeing of the G55. The half rack space deal is what I was thinking I'd prefer.
  17. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    G55 here - use it since couple of weeks and love it. Went with the 55 instead the 50 because I like the idea of a rack version but was not happy about paying 600$ for the G90 version (it remains a hobby).
    100% happy with it
  18. fabubass

fabubass

And the Line 6 Relay is Digital!
    I have had it for a year, play 11-12 gigs a month, never once failed, never once cut out.
  19. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Line 6 G50 is a solid unit.
  20. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

Line 6 G50 gets my vote.
  21. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Couple of points:

- You could potentially get 2 G30 units for what one of the G50 or other units costs. I know I paid $200 for mine, from Sweetwater. I think it was a "second", but I couldn't tell that by looking at it.

- The G30 uses a standard 1/4" connector (i.e. a regular instrument cable) to connect the guitar to the transmitter. I don't think any of their other units do that. They require special cables.

- If you use any kind of pedals (effects, tuner, etc.) you might want to get a G30 or G50 and not one of the rackmount units. I have 1 rack rig and several non-rack rigs. Having the G30 lets me use my wireless easily with any of my rigs. With my rack rig, the receiver plugs into the rack power condition and sits on top of the rack.

- I also take advantage of the non-rack receiver because I can take my wireless anywhere I go and use it with any rig. E.g. have a rig at a practice space and another rig at home and just carry the wireless unit back and forth with me to use it at both places. The G30 uses AA batteries and I have a supply of rechargeables I use, so I have no concerns about the number of batteries I'd chew through by using the wireless all the time.

- to respond to another poster, I think I read on the Line 6 website that all the Relay units are compatible with each other - as long as you're using a channel that both units have. So, I THINK you can use, for example, a G30 transmitter, with a G50 or G55 or G90 receiver, and so forth.