Which would you rather: PBass Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magnaton, Dec 19, 2013.

1. magnaton

magnaton

I don't quite understand it, but there seems to be universal hatred for the walnut/ mocha/ root beer colors in both the Fender and Gibson vintage market. I'm not that offended by it, and I think occasionally it can be quite a unique look. However, from a collectibility/ investment perspective there is no denying that it fetches less on the open market. So, with two Pbasses in sight, both in a similar price bracket, which would you buy and why...

Option 1) 1977 PBass in Walnut with UNBELIEVABLE flame maple neck and OHSC. 8.6 lbs, no neck gap. $1699 (Realize this is a bit high, but my goodness that neck!)

Option 2) 1971 PBass in refin Firemist gold, rosewood neck, 8 and a bit lbs, OHSC $1400

1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Are you buying for YOU ... or the next owner?
  3. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

I'd take that P bass any day. I prefer rosewood, to specifically answer your question, but that paint job is awesome! You selling?
  4. tooley

tooley

Id go for option a. As I like things with abit of mojo & that bass has plenty.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Rosewood/walnut.......:hyper:
  7. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Option B all the way.
    -Firemist gold is sweet.
    -Rosewood fretboards are better (to me).
    As a bonus, it is less expensive, lighter, AND more vintage.
    Also, for what it{s worth, I played a 71 p bass in a shop and it was the best fender I{ve ever played. I still really want it even though I{ll never get it.
    If I had the money I{d ask you to hook me up with the sellers details on the gold one if you chose not to buy it. If only.
    EDIT: My god, that bass is amazing looking, I{d get that gold one before someone else snaps it up.
  8. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Refins, of course, harm resale value, and the neck of that '77 does look awesome. But I've generally found that the 'early '70s basses were put together better, and the firemist is impressive. I also like the late '60s-early '70s logo. But it's all about what YOU like, my friend. Based on looks, you can't go wrong either way. Have you played them?
  9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

+1 on the re-fin/resale issue

Naturally road worn Walnut & maple for me
  10. Nobody

Nobody

11. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Refin or not, I'd probably go with the 71' although there's no way I'd buy either sight unseen.
    Also I noticed in the picture of the 77' where they close up on the frets that they look a little low to me, indicating it may very well of had a level at one point they're also a bit worn from the looks of it.
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Hard choice. I prefer maple boards, so I'd edge towards the 77 but you're right that price is high. The 71 looks good, but I'm not a rosewood guy.
  13. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    '71 for sure!
  14. extreme

extreme

Hopefully you can play these first and pick the one you like. Without a chance to play first I'd go for the '71 as I much prefer a rosewood board.
  15. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

'71 all the way. A no brainer IMO. I would take an early 70s over a late 70s anyday.
    Of course to play it is to judge it! It's Fender we are talking about here.
  16. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i don't care for 70's era basses. find a 65/66 :D but if i had to choose between these two i'd pick goldie locks.
  17. Radio Face

Radio Face

I have an early 70s fretless P (rosewood) and it's a great sounding bass but you should play, if possible, before you pay.
  18. StevieMac

StevieMac

19. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

I prefer the gold one with the rosewood board.
  20. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

I'd pick the one with the ash body, the '77. Shame on whoever refinished that '71.
  21. magnaton

magnaton

Thanks all for the input. It's nice to see a good split in opinions here. Feeling a little more justified in my indecision. I love the look of the firemist... actually have a strat in this exact color combo. BUT I recently found out that the refin on the '71 was done to hide a bridge pickup route. Hmmm... That puts me off it a bit. Should it not?