Which would you upgrade first? An amp or a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 11, 2002.

?

Which would you buy first? An amp or a bass?

1. Amp

827 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Bass

722 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Carrots

228 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Well basically lets say you already have both, but they're not exceptionally good, and you could only choose one. Would you opt for a new bass or go for a new amp? Opinions needed. Replies welcomed.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm glad you said "opinions" because different aspects are more important to different people, just like some people rather have a fine ride and a crummy house because they spend more time on the road than they do at home.

I go the amp, anytime. A good preamp on an amp can make up for a lot of instrument deficiences. And being able to move a lot of air can impress.

Some of the knowledgable techies agree, too. Here one quote -

"Even the best guitar is not going to display its potential when played through an inexpensive, tiny, solid-state practice amp with an eight inch speaker. On the other hand a really good amp can make even an inexpensive guitar with weak pickups sound much better." - www.guitarnuts.com
  3. dudemeister

dudemeister

Oh sorry my fault. I missread the post. I thought it said that he/she didn't have any of them yet.
  4. mans0n

mans0n

gotta be the bass! ok? your amp is shoddy and your bass is.. i say get a good (or new at least) bass before a new amp.. it doesnt take much time to get used to a new amp.... but a new bass takes some getting used to. and how often would ya be playing a notsogood bass on a glorious new amp anyways? enough to justify being stuck with a entry level (or less than?) bass for as long as it takes till you can afford a new bass..... i would rather be stuck with a nice bass and a 15watt amp then a great amp and a shoddy bass..... thats just my opinion though =)
  5. JoeRules00

JoeRules00

New amp. I am reminded of the feelings I had on 2 consecutive days. The first day, I had my Squier P-Bass and a BP-15 amp.

Joe is angry!! :mad:

The next day, my Crate BX-100 arrives. I still play it with my Squier P-Bass.

Joe is happy!! :)
  6. Brendan

Brendan

I went amp first. And believe me, it evenmade my $200 Ibanez sound significantly better. Good enough, in fact, to make it viable to gig and not worry with the axe.

I'd definitely shell out for the amp first.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I thought it was one of those "title says it all" posts, so I thought the same thing.

I've edited the thread title. Maybe that'll help.
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

when i was in your situation, i bought a new amp first....

but it wasn't a "great" amp, it was just an "okay" one. then a few months later, i bought a great bass.

i wish i had bought a "great amp" instead of either the "okay amp" or the "great bass". it would've been a lot cheaper that way.

when it comes down to it, don't half-ass it! buy what you want as you can afford it.

i suggest getting a great amp first.
  9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I would say it depends on the situation.

For example, if your situation is you need an amp with more power or your amp is just a plain low quality amp, (as is my situation right now) you should first upgrade your amp. A Lakland isn't going to sound that great through a 50 watt Crate, but a Squier is going to sound pretty good through an SWR.

If your amp "does it's job" but you just want to upgrade to "find your sound" then I would upgrade the bass first.
  10. metallicarules

metallicarules Guest

I would say go with the amp for sure. I have a pretty low end bass, and a real crappy amp so obviously it doesn't sound too good. I played my bass through a real high quality amp at music store once though and I thought it sounded pretty good.
  11. rickbass

metallica is catching on - Spending a lot more on the bass can be better for your ego and spending a lot more on the amp is better for your sound, IME.

Fieldy played basses that are considered "junk" to a high end bass owner. But the amplification dollars were always there. Higher end amplification and an inexpensive bass got a European tour for Talena of Kittie (below). The girl is definitely going to the bank!

It can be a "circular" (moot) argument. But when you look at "who's on tour playing what - the truth don't lie.

Personally, I like the expenditures for both components to NOT be radically different.

[​IMG]
  12. dancehallclasher

dancehallclasher

100% what i was going to say.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    I would rather play a Squier through an Eden or Ampeg rig than a Zon through a Squier or Rogue practice amp.
    subbasshz likes this.
  14. Limezone

Limezone

15. mrdungbeatle

mrdungbeatle

id say upgrade the amp. If you have a bass thats not that great, a good amp can make a big difference in the sound. Not only does it improve the sound but being able to be heard is a big plus. It will allow you to play with other people and not be drowned out by the drummer and guitar.
  16. rickbass

Adding on to what Jeff says - wait till you try to unload that gear.......used basses are much less suspect than used amps.

Potential buyers understand a cheaper bass on the selling block much easier than they do a used amp, due to the relative complexity of an amp and all the things that may be wrong with it.

You can more readily assume someone is selling an amp because it has been worked mercilessly like a rented mule - (i.e., wasn't loud enough).
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I agree. I think the common rationale is that a good bass will sound good when played through anything, when the reality is that anything can sound good (or be made to sound good) when played through a good amp.

I used to be a huge high end bass buff until I got my Epifani 310. Once I had that, I found that I could get my sound quite easily with Peavey basses. Not that they're bad instruments, just not as highly regarded as the Bebensee and the Zon I used to own.
  18. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

I don't get it, majority of replies say get the amp over the bass, yet bass is beating amp and carrots.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    That's because the people who are voting for bass don't have a good argument to back it up.
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Probably.

Amps definetly make a huge difference. Ive played alot of crappy basses through good rigs and a lot of great basses through crappy rigs, and OIve found that the amp makes a bigger difference than the bass,

Peace
    Nick