1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Whirlwind bass 10

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RBX4, Aug 21, 2011.

1. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Thinking Bout getting this pedal any1 own it??

2. Sponsored by:

3. Would like to know the same. Ed Friedland really seem to enjoy it on Youtube, FWIW.

4. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I went ahead and ordered it off amazon, will let you know how it is!

5. Looking forward to it!

6. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Get this pedal........

7. Think I might. I was thinking of this or upgrading my Mesa M6 to an M9 with graphic EQ.

8. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Amazon.com

9. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I just became aware of this unit from a Bass Player magazine ad.

What does it cost?

What are the frequencies?

How does it compare to the MXR 10 band?

10. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Found it on sweetwater.com. Answered two of my own questions.

Price: $250

Frequencie bands: 20, 40, 80, 160, 320, 600, 900, 1.3, 1.8, 3K

11. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I can't play without it.

12. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I also found a new one for $200 at an eBay store. That's still way more than the MXR costs.

13. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Coz it's prolly better then the mxr.

14. I bought one from Sweetwater and just got it this afternoon. I like it a lot! I've been wanting one for a long time. Perfect for fine tone sculpting. The Hz chosen for each slider couldn't be better. Very easy and intuitive to use.

I plugged in my American Standard Jazz and was able to dial in the Grand Piano tone I've always wanted with a very taut bottom. The 20 Hz slider can act as a high pass filter of sorts and really tightens up the deep bass when you back it off -7 dB.

Tomorrow I'm going to try it through the effects loop to sculpt the pre-amped signal, and see how that turns out.

15. Color me joyfully delirious! I finally broke down and ordered a Whirlwind Bass Ten graphic EQ, and man let me tell you this box rocks! Yes they’re expensive and I put off buying one for almost two years. What a maroon!

I plugged it up yesterday evening between my Jazz and Rumble 75 combo mostly as just a test to see if everything was working properly. Man was it ever! The frequency bands are perfectly chosen for electric bass guitar. I love tone sculpting and this is the very best graphic EQ I’ve ever used. Quick; easy, and intuitive I dialed in a huge grand piano tone that just ripped. Unfortunately I had to restrain my exuberance and shut down for the night.

About mid-morning I set up my Rumble 350 head and one of my Rumble 112 Neo cabs. This time I ran the Bass Ten through the effects loop in order to tone sculpt the pre-amped bass signal. The Bass Ten is dead quiet with 0 distortion. My 350 was set up with my favorite stage tone which is a very full and wide ranging. I plugged in my Jazz and just kicked in the Bass Ten with the very same setting form last night, and man alive! I was floored by the richness of tone. I tweaked some more and got the bottom nice and tight and fully defined. No Mud. No Flab. No Sludge. I like very meaty mids with lots of growl & snarl. So easy it’s not funny, but to be fair my Jazz has tons of great sounding mids to begin with. Now they’re better. I like highs that are smooth and soaring - crystal clear with a bit of bark/spank. Got ‘em!

Then it was time to hook up my Precision Assault Bass strung in GHS Precision flats with all the powers of darkness. All in the world I had to do was to turn off the tweeter and put the three high bands back flat. The rest I left the same and it was GLORIOUS! The attack was like Patton’s 3rd Army and the midrange was dark meat for days. Just enough highs for close aerial support. I couldn’t help but kick in the Rumbles’ Overdrive for a full frontal assault. The charge was successful and the battle for better bass tone is won.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  16. Vince Jackson

Vince Jackson

Jan 6, 2015
    I've been using one for months now and I really like it. It can be pretty sensitive but overall gives you great frequency control and transparency.

Linnin likes this.