1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Whirlwind Bass Ten EQ Pedal? or.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HoneyBadjer, Nov 18, 2013.

1. HoneyBadjer

HoneyBadjer

I need some more feedback on this pedal before I pull the trigger. Is the Whirlwind Bass Ten my best option for pro quality and simplicity. It would cost me around $200 new. Is it worth the extra $100 bux? The Geb-7 and Mxr 10 are about half the cost.....Help!?
  2. HoneyBadjer

HoneyBadjer

all responses are greatly appreciated.
  3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

It's a giant pedal, so I'm guessing it's not going to be used much around here. The esteemed Ed Friedland's review is worth watching, and really shows how a graphic EQ can bring filter pedals to life:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhFb6zPMwVw

The Whirlwind seems a quality piece of gear. Is it what you want to lug around to all of your gigs? If you need to EQ different pedals (ie, multiple settings), it may be worth looking at the Source Audio programmable EQ, which gives you footswitchable presets. Great pedal with some cool MIDI options and can even do mild overdrive. http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/programmable_eq.php
  4. HoneyBadjer

HoneyBadjer

thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for a set it and forget it graphic eq so the WBT is still at the top of my list. I don't think the size will be an issue. Is it worth it to get a cheap GEB-7 to hold me over while I save up for the WBT?? I've yet to find a better quality graphic eq pedal than the WBT...not sure if one exists.
  5. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I just bought the MXR and am perfectly satisfied, although I don't have any experience with the Whirlwind. I like the freq centers, good cut/boost range (+/-12dB), lots of headroom (I couldn't get it to distort even with the gain and most of the EQ sliders all the way up), and very little noise unless you crank the treble sliders.
  6. HoneyBadjer

HoneyBadjer

Where should I put the eq pedal in my effects chain? The main purpose of the eq is to be able to tweak the fuzz and synth effects.
  7. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

If that's what you want to do then place it after your fuzz and synth pedals.
  8. IncX

IncX

shouldn't he be putting it before the fuzz?

i was thinking, fuzz + synth < EQ < bass = fuzzing out your EQ

while,

EQ < fuzz + synth = EQ-ing your fuzzed tone
  9. Swift713

Swift713

Is there some reason that you can't try it both ways and see which you prefer?
  10. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I just spoke with a rep at Whirlwind about the dimensions of the Bass Ten: 2" high from the floor which I assume means including feet, 5.625" deep, and 4.75" wide. Just posting here for future reference.
  11. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

I used one for several months and the ONLY complaint would be the size. The sound however, can't be matched. The headroom is incredible and the slightest adjustment makes a big, big difference. The sliders are very solid and fit through snug seals to keep the dirt out. Comes with a slim 18V power supply or you can run it from your pedalboard power source with dual 9Vs.

Highly recommened.