1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Whirlwind OC Bass Optical Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Dec 29, 2013.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Just got this in from Sweetwater. Very nice comp! Love having the switch between compression and limiting in conjunction with the different attack settings.

I thought the pedal would be physically larger than it is but it turns out it is a nice size and doesn't take up too much real estate on my board.

I was hoping it would have the same juicy EQ effect the Diamond has but it does not. Just as Bongo has said, it is cleaner but not completely on the clinical end either. What it does have is headroom for days and no noise! Love it!

[​IMG]
  2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Right on. I bought mine directly from Bongo and I love it. I don't change the settings, but it's good that they give you lots of options.
  3. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Cool. I recently switched from a Markbass to a Diamond but the Whirlwind was on my short list as well. Still want to try one. I like the effect the Diamond adds but I'd kind of like to have a second compressor that's more transparent. How is the Whirlwind at adding punch? The Diamond is a punch machine.
  4. stingray56funk

Definitely adds punch. Transparent with headroom and punch. I'm not as much a slapper as I used to be, but this thing is fantastic for slap bass and cool effected slap bass like the 80's. Think The Time.
  5. Jman2089

Jman2089 Supporting Member

Have you had a chance to try a pwnzor for comparison? I'm drawn to the limiter portion of the whirlwind. I like the reviews this pedal is getting.
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

I recently A/Bed the Whirlwind with a Diamond and I actually prefer the Whirlwind. The attack is a lot more natural sounding to me and that's great for punch. I like how the Whirlwind handles the lows without the need for a Tone knob too.
  7. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

My Diamond can add a ridiculous amount of punch so if the Whirlwind adds more that would be impressive. Not sure what you mean about the lows though. Set flat I have no loss of lows with the Diamond, it does tighten up the bottom so I can see how someone might initially perceive it that way (especially at higher compression settings). Set flat the eq tilt is true to my tone and it just boost highs or lows depending on how I turn the knob.
  8. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Anyone had a chance to A/B the Whirlwind with the Empress comp?
  9. stingray56funk

I have not used a pwnzor, but have heard good things. The limiting portion of this pedal is very usable and adds the versatility to it that I like.
  10. stingray56funk

Fantastic!

May I ask which basses you were using? Passive or Active?
  11. stingray56funk

+1
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I didn't directly AB them, but I can tell you the main distinctions IMO are that the Whirlwind has a stronger low end, while the Empress offers more detailed/refined controls and metering.