White Noise!!!! Gotta go...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eq777, Nov 4, 2013.

1. eq777

eq777

Can anyone help me? Have a gk rb 1000 rb2 with 2 gk neo 410 cabs. I also am using a bbe sonic max and an eden wt di pre with a sampson airline wireless. I get the most horrible annoying hiss that you can think off when I run this set up. I'm using the bbe through the effects loop and eden straight from the wireless to the amp. When I disconnect the eden and the bbe, the hiss is gone. Tried everything you can think of. Changed my entire rig: bass, amp, cables cabs and also tired runnimg different combinations but the dam hiss won't go away. Someone help!,,
  2. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Have you tried any noise gates?
  3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Does it hiss with just the DI and no BBE?
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Are you biamping? If so where do you have your tweeter knob set? I quit using the tweeters on my cabs because they were noisy when using pedals. Frankly, I think it sounds better with them off.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

One thing to try is patching the effects send directly to the effects receive. Sometimes dirt and corrosion gets into the connectors. The next step is just the BBE in the effects loop and nothing else. (As lowfreq33 suggests.) Then add the di. All this should be done without the bass and wireless connected. You will likely need to look at the gain staging for each component.
  7. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. You need to eliminate one single variable at a time to be able to determine where the source of the noise is. But I'm guessing the noise shouldn't be there at all, and a noise gate is a bandaid to cover up the real "problem".

Start with the bass > GK > cabs with a good cable. Add one piece at a time back into the mix.

Unrelated, I believe the Contour control on the GK RB1001 is effectively similar to the overall function of the BBE Maximizer where it imparts a smiley face EQ curve to the tone to scoop out the mids. Just mentioning it in case it allows you to get a similar tone and completely eliminate one of your pieces of gear.

Also, I personally find a lot of cab tweeters to simply have an always-there hiss you hear at bedroom / solo volumes but not necessarily in a band mix. I normally turn all of my tweets off completely.
  8. eq777

eq777

I forgot to mention that I'm also using a furman power cond...I am bi-amping and have to cut my tweeter all the way back and engage the hi-cut switch. I get about as half as much hiss with just the bbe but when the eden DI is added, bingo, the monsterous white noise is back. Can be heard really loud when I play a note.

There is no question that it's comming from the bbe and di...When plugged straight into the amp, the hiss is gone.(Even with wireless, there is no hiss).
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How are you powering the Eden and the BBE?
  10. eq777

eq777

Powering both with the power adapters/cords the units came with-everythung is plugged into the Furman.
  11. eq777

eq777

One thing I noticed is that individually with each unit I get no noise. It's only when I use both of them together that the noise is present.
  12. aprod

aprod

First thing I would do is can the wireless and the BBE.
  13. eq777

eq777

Correction...bbe gives me alot of noise by itself. I can get just as good a sound with me going straight into the amp and messing with the eq. The 1001rb ii is a killer amp. Only drag is the fact that there is no compressor. Think I'm getting rid of these effect units.
  14. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

$h*t-can the bbe.
  15. eq777

eq777

I agree with canning the bbe. The Airline synth wireless is flawless!!! Sounds like I'm using a cable.