1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

White tapes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maz, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Maz

Maz

Does anyone beside La Bella make "white" (clear) tapewounds? I have some white tapes on a used bass I bought awhile ago, and they are riding up on the posts. I'm gonna loosen em and rethread them around the tuners, hope fully nothing goes wrong. I couldn't find any reference to other brands using the google. I decided I really like these strings but I've already deleted the number of the guy I bought the bass from (CL).
  2. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

DR white neon....are they white or clear? DR actually makes both.
  3. Maz

Maz

Clear. With Purple silk. Thanks for the reply.
  4. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Theres a thread in here somewhere about purple silks....names a whole bunch with purple. I dont know what they are. the only ones I have used with purple are pyramid flats.
  5. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

Purple silks is LaBella, I believe.
  6. Maz

Maz

7. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Are you sure they're white tapes? Can you take a really close picture of the E string?
  8. Maz

Maz

9. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Those certainly don't look like my LaBellas.
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Can we see the ball end area?

Looking like GHS Precision flats.
  11. 3234718

I agree.
    If you clip off an inch or so, I don't see why there should be a problem anyway.
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Yes the person who installed them did not trim off excess string length. Ok to cut off in inch or two
  13. Maz

Maz

Wow. These strings are so slick compared to the other flats I've played, I'm still convinced they are coated. I'll have to take an exacto to them under magnification. More than happy to be wrong though. Thanks for the help guys.
  14. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Yeah, they look like GHS Precision flats. I have those on 2 basses. Indeed they are very smooth. More so than many other flats. If there was a nylon coat I think it would be very obvious.
  15. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Is there a plastic-y coating on them, or is that just metal?

If metal, then GHS or Carvin flats.
  16. Maz

Maz

[​IMG]

and I'll be damned. I took a fresh razorblade to the E up on the peghead and there is no plastic on it. These strings feel too smooth and the matte finish they have gives me the illusion they are coated. -the ball ends are brass colored btw.
  17. 3234718

Definitely ghs precision flats. Damn fine strings. Cut an inch off that e, a and d, restring, and you're good to go.
  18. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Those look like Flatwounds to me not tapes. In fact they look exactly like GHS Precision Flats by their purple wrapping.
  19. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Yup confirmed ghs precision flats. They start out smooth but as you play them they get smoother. Even a thin sheet of body funk will build up on them and add even a glossyness to them as your skin naturally polishes the metal even smoother.

Enjoy!