1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Whizzer cones

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rob Mancini, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

I have zero experience with whizzer cones, other than old stereo systems I've owned that had coaxial speakers. But I know I'm pretty disenchanted with tweeters, and I'm wondering if whizzers would be an option to look into. I'm probably not concerned with anything past 12K since that's where a cable typically shelves the highs anyway, so would a whizzer make the highs less intense?

So what are your opinions of bass cabs loaded with whizzers? I know EA is probably the leading maker that uses them, but I have no experience with them. I have a Markbass Mini CMD121P combo, and everything about it is perfect except the tweeter. If you've heard that amp, how would a whizzer cab compare to the tweeter and 12" in it?

2. bobyoung53

bobyoung53

I thought they stopped making them in 1963 :bag:, incidentally a coaxial speaker has two separate speakers in it, a whizzer cone is a little cone attached to the voice coil of a larger speaker and is consider one speaker. I always thought they were kind of a gimmick.

3. r379

r379

Eminence was making a 10" wizzy speaker several years ago and perhaps they still are. Check their website.

4. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

I just picked up an EA Wizzy 112. I love it. I am running it with a Fender 250 HD. I really haven't read a bad review yet of the EA wizzy. If you are looking for a little of the old school sound, you can't go wrong.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Great idea if well implemented but doing so is not easy. I'd like to hear an EA Wizzy, I bet they've done a good job of it. I used to own a Peavey 112MB whizzer cone 1x12" which was a nice sounding little cab.

Alex

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Not easy? What are some of the difficulties? Does it have to do with cabs working well for the woofer but not for the whizzer?

8. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

They still make it. It's the Legend BP102. I've never had an opportunity to play through one, but from what I hear, it's a nice little speaker.

Ralf

9. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The voice coil is directly connected to the whizzer cone and then the whizzer connected to the woofer cone via a flexible surround that acts as a mechanical crossover. Getting the compliance of that right is difficult, as is getting the woofer excursion long enough without making the voice coil too heavy and high in inductance for the whizzer to be useful. Also because the whizzer cone is only connected at one end it tends to suffer from break up modes so getting the right degree of damping without killing the treble is challenging. If you look at fullrange single drivers they are all whizzer cones and none of them have enough excursion to manage high SPL low frequencies.

Alex

10. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I tried the eminence bp102 and didn't like it. It really didn't put out very much top end and the low end was flabby. I was very dissapointed. I would love to try the EA though.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The BP102 does not have a whizzer cone. The B102 does.

12. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Your are correct Sir.

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2

Eminence also has a 12' whizzer cone,The Beta-12LTA.225 watts,xmas at 3.2mm,48-8000hz.Might not be bad for a monitor speaker.

14. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think that's very similar to the one in the Peavey cab I had.

Alex

15. Matthijs

Matthijs

I've been using that speaker for a long time and I like it. I still have one in a small 1*10 closed cab. I use for double bass on small gigs. In my experience the highs are quite good, but coloured, not very hifi, so there's probably some subjective taste involved. It's a quite bright sound that's not chirpy like a cheap tweeter, don't expect it to be 'old school' mellow.
    Problem with this speaker is (and this fits with alexcablers response) the sensitivity to xmax in low frequencies. The speaker itself has a quite high spl, but is not designed for a thumping deep sound so it will break up soon if pushed hard in the low frequencies. I think its aimed as a replacement for 4*10 enclosures and would probably do very very well.

16. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Previously MichaelVee Supporting Member

As an EA M-Line owner, I'll chime in to say that the driver can get pretty bright without being unnaturally bright. It's a mellow, balanced high end. Most bass cab horns have to be rolled off quite a bit before they sound natural. The EA cab gives you balance without a separate horn and crossover.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I ran an EA wizzy stack for a while. Great tone. Very portable and together they had a decent amount of low-end... although it still had a mid sound to it. If it weren't for the fact that I had to run my amp at a 2 ohm load (they were only available as 4 ohm cabs back then) I would have kept it.

Very vintage.

18. dlmarquez

dlmarquez

I have long been confused about this, and I want to make sure that I have it straight from the mouths of the Guru's!!!
    Whizzy cones use a 2nd cone connected to the voice coil. There is crossover network.
    Coaxial speakers are actually 2 cones mounted one in front of the other and a crossover network is used to control which frequeny band goes to which cone.

IS that fairly close in a nutshell?

I'm asking because I see several companies using coaxial speakers: Warwick, Low Down Sound and others.
    However the only whizzy I've seen advertised in a cabinet is the EA unit

19. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    fabulous B&C drivers, deep, rich, and crispy top end out to about 18K with no tweeter hiss or scratchiness. Also, 4 separate 60 watt amps - 1 for each speaker.

http://www.aer-amps.de/Sites/sites_ENG/productpages/bp.htm

Also, their new Electric bass system has one in their 2x10 cab instead of a tweeter. Haven't heard it yet, but I'm sure it's killer - all their stuff is.

http://www.aer-amps.de/AER_News/bottom_line.htm

Cheers,
    Cameron

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The cool thing with the Wizzy line is the variation that you get from box to box. The 'regular' Wizzy, M-line Wizzy, and Wizzy 10 do have some common characteristics, but they all bring something different to the table. The Wizzy 10 is probably the one that sounds the least like a single-driver design, and the more I play them, the more I am just blown away by what that little box can do.

Tom.

21. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Whizzer cones do not have an electronic crossover between the whizzer cone and the main woofer but the membrane between the two acts as a mechanical crossover.

Peavey used to have a 12" whizzer cone cab. All AccuGroove's 10" woofers have whizzer cones (in addition to separate mid speakers and tweeters!). AER have an 8" whizzer cone cab. I've yet to hear an EA Wizzy but I get the impression they've done a really nice job with it!

Alex