Who are the modern Rock Bassists today that I should listened to? !

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fourstringburn, Jun 17, 2012.

1. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

After watching a YouTube clip of a young Bass player playing along to a classic Who song ( Real Me, and the guy did a great job indeed!) It got me thinking about the generation gap between my generation and today's young players.

I think it's great that the younger players today are influenced by the Bands and Bass legends that we older generation of Bass players were and still are, That shows this music and these players will stand the test of time.

Now answer this for me, Where are the modern Rock bands today that have Bass players that stand out and can play in way that would make any Bass player stand in awe?

I admit I don't listen to much new music and what I have listened to I haven't heard much Bass playing wise that I would call inspiring the way Bassists like John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan, and many others did over 30 years ago.

If you can give honest examples of bands with Bass players that are the dominant force in the band and truly awe inspiring, I will definitely check them out!
    YouTube links would be great!
    Thanks! :bassist:
  2. Journey55

Journey55

Off the top of my head, Muse's bassist is pretty awesome and Coheed and Cambria's (former) bassist isn't bad either
  3. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce World Champion of Quartz-Parchment-Shears Supporting Member

There aren't any. Some guys can hold a bit of a groove, some metal guys have great speed, but no one of my, or near my, generation can hold a candle to the classic masters of Rock. Quite simply, you don't have to be a good musician to be a 'rock star' anymore. You can be a multi-millionaire bass playing hero and not read a single note or know where to find it on your bass nowadays. :scowl: Welcome to mediocrity.

Edit: There are good bassists out there, but no future bass gods; which is how I took your post.
  4. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

I hear where you are coming from, but I'm trying to be opened minded to what's considered great today. But at the moment, I not aware of any "Bass gods" like we were fortunate to grow up with. So I guess I am wondering who the modern day Bass God is.

As for the good musican/rockstar thing, it was the same back then as now. There were plenty of bands that ranged from average players like Kiss to '70s punk rockers like the Sex Pistols who even once bragged about their inabilities and were successful rockstars.

By the way, I'm a major Kiss fan from the mid '70s but I admired their music more than their actual playing abilities. Same goes for AC/DC. Bon Scott rules!!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crimson36

Crimson36

I mean as for famous players a lot of people seem to like Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers but I've just never been all that into them personally.

I'm more of a metal fan for sure, but as for great bass players in that field, I really like Arif from Protest the Hero, and Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me. Pretty incredible players and composers. Neither one is a bass god exactly, no future Jaco Pastorius's or anything, but way better than anything else I've heard recently.
  7. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Henrik Linder from the band Dirty Loops.... Not exactly a"rock" bassist, but amazing nonetheless.
  8. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

The main problem is that there aren't any bands breaking now that will be huge, legendary entities. If you're really big, you're following the same formula that too many other bands are on. The only way the record companies feel safe doing a ton of marketing on a rock band is if they are either huge and established or following the same tired formula that's been generating sales for 10 to 12 years.

Smaller labels are putting out great innovative stuff, but not on a scale that's going to produce a "legend".

The wave of the future is truly independent releases, direct from the artist. Sadly, it will give more choice and more variety to rock music fans, but not on the scale that you associate wit the late 60s through the mid 90s.

To answer your question, there are no more legendary rock bass players. There are bass players that can do an adequate job without taking up too much time being "artistic". Maybe I'm too cynical. Maybe I'm wrong, but, I calls em like I sees em...
  9. afzoomie67

afzoomie67

A good guy who can hold a groove is Alex Levine from The Gaslight Anthem. They're from New Brunswick, NJ, and they're like a punk Springsteen.. (except you can actually tell what the singer sings.)
  10. swaps

swaps

I've always been a fan of P-Nut from 311. He can get down heavy, then play a poppy love song, the some slap funk, then a deep groovy R&B. Dood's got chops, but playing and touring for 20 years will do that for you.
  11. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

I just watched a clip from the band Protest the hero and I have to say the Bass player is Damn Good!!! The music is pretty extreme and intense with multiple time changes and bass/ guitar soloing. I totally dig it, Thanks for that one!

I know there is still good stuff out there I'm just cynically unaware of it...

12. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

I always like to think of myself as a Bass God :bag:
  13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Ryan Gullen from The Sheepdogs is phenominal.
  14. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

15. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Justin Chancellor from Tool

Jared Followill from Kings of Leon (even if you don't like them listen to the bass he is great IMO)

George Alex Katunich Original player from Incubus

Robert Deleo from STP killer lines boring tone but one of my favorites

There are so many it's crazy...guys in some metal today are absolutely amazing Alex Webster is insane. Then all the new jazz guys make me crap myself..
  16. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

17. jag872002

jag872002

Evan Brewer from the death metal band The Faceless is really good. He has is own solo cd out. Some would argue that Fieldy from Korn is on that list, but that band is old. Not for sure tho. I agree that tthe top hitters aren't what they used to be. I like underground music, but not so much the popular rock music.
  18. FelixcZa

FelixcZa

They won't be respected for what the're doing for another thirty years.

Two guys I think are under rated
    Mike Dirnt/Green Day
    Matt Freeman/Rancid,Devils Brigade
  19. fldrvr

fldrvr

How has no one mentioned Les Claypool?
  20. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    He's not exactly new.
  21. fldrvr

fldrvr

I second Chris Wolstenholme and (for me at least) Brian Gibson (Lightning Bolt).