Who believes in ''super food''?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

So I've been reading these things about ''super food'' lately. You know, some types of food seem to have (according to scientists that is) something in it that can cure heart diseases, cancer and all that kind of stuff.

Personally I don't believe in this. If it was working, then nobody would be sick and we would all be eating this, or do I see this from a wrong angle?

I can't remember where it was, but I read a while ago that if you eat 1 slice of bread with honey and cinnamon powder every day, this can prevent you get cancer or even cure it. Anybody who believes in this kind of ''super food''?

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

I think the super food claims are all hyperbole. I think there is probably something to the claims they make, but I don't think any single food source can be considered a cure for anything. It has to be balanced with a healthy diet, exercise, a positive mental attitude and luck.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I don't think a "cure" is the idea behind the name "superfood". I think that it is used to refer to foods that are very high in nutrients, like avocados, kale, salmon, flax, to name a few.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

IME, this is not the case. If it is scientifically based, it is usually exaggerated by the person presenting it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Im sure french fries and snickers bars will never be super foods. Eating healthy is probably a good start to not getting heart disease, thats true, and I'm sure there are plenty of foods that have benefits from eating them, but I'm pretty sure the claim that an avocado can cure cancer is a bit of a stretch.

Oh, and white bread with honey and a little cimmanin isn't that healthy, hate to break it to you.

7. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Yes, I think some herbs/spices/foods/stuff you eat. Do have stuff in them that helps stave the bad stuff off.

It's just that most of them are banned by the FDA because sickness makes money.

8. duff beer

duff beer

It's all BS.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that if any food really did cure a disease, everyone would already know about it. That's not something that would ever stay secret.

9. hover

hover

It's only a "super food" in that it's particularly high in nutrients and / or beneficial antioxidant properties and the like... The foods / producers themselves (afaik) aren't making any medicinal claims, but they're rather suggesting they are much better, in practice, than a steady diet of Hot Pockets....I don't understand the "call b.s." comments myself. to each their own.

I love kale and avocados and tomatoes and spinach, etc...so I have no problem with them being decent for me.

10. og61pbass

og61pbass

I believe in a Super Double Double with extra cheese from In n Out Burger!!! :D

11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It's foods that have high nutritional value and generally a high anti-oxidant effect too, this gives you better odds, it's always about the odds.

As for curing disease, that seems a bit much, preventative to an extent though, that's something different.

12. groooooove

groooooove

i dont know about calling a certain food a "cure for cancer," but certain things are really amazing how much they help you be/feel healthy.

i drink yerba matte pretty often, in a "traditional" gourd and all of that - if thats not a superfood i dont know what is.

i know an argentinian couple living very well in their 90s, and they swear it's from having matte every day.

13. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

^ I can't find yerba mate here to save my life! Not even at the Persian market...and they seem to have just about everything from just about everywhere

I somewhat agree...the "superfood" claims in mom blogs and the like are mostly hyperbole. When you get to the meat and potatoes of the reputable links they reference, a much more truthful story is told. High in nutrients and antioxidants = good

14. Mushroo

Mushroo

Some specific foods have scientifically-studied effects on the body. I am thinking about things like shiitake mushrooms, ephedra, chocolate, caffeine, red wine, etc. (It is not just placebo effect.)

What constitutes a "superfood" is just arguing semantics. The term gets used in enough fad tabloid articles that it is basically meaningless to me.

15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

things like supplements can be super. my personal favs are glutamine, dmae, and micronized minerals. i super charge my veggie garden with Azomite and Humic/Fulvic acids. occasionally, i'll take a swig after feeding the plants!;) Azomite has the healthy minerals found in the good clays as well as 60 trace elements. it is said these essentials not only restore the health of depleted soils, but also bond to heavy metals in our blood streams so they are excreted more efficiently.

16. ZenG

ZenG

It's not so much that they are "super" foods....it's just that the other 50 % of what we eat is "supercrap".

if we ate nothing but those "super" foods....we'd do ok.

But it's too late ....the sugar and fat addiction has been long long in the making.

You'll never talk anybody out of eating crap foods........crap food is too well established.......and we're hooked.

In bodybuilding they call eating only good food "eating clean".....but even they allow them selves one "cheat' meal a week......a meal where anything goes.

Refined sugar is the main cause of many modern "epidemics". That and processed starchy foods as well.

You can't expect a "super" food to work for you if you eat it and then have some "crap" food for dessert.

17. BassAgent

BassAgent

There's no such thing as superfoods. Sure, chia seeds, quinoa and linseed are pretty healthy, but not any more than carrots, broccoli and spinach. The so-called healing effect of those "superfoods" has no scientific basis. The only food you can have for the rest of your life and stay reasonably healthy is mother's milk. If you don't wanna do that: have a varied diet that includes everything. Sure, eat chia seeds and wheatgrass as much as you want, but include vegetables and fibres as well.

18. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

On a "super food" side note, I've been doing a great job of making my own food in lieu of eating prepackaged junk for the last couple of months, and I'd say the food I'm making (except for some occasional breakfast bacon) is pretty darn healthy on the whole. That said, who the heck decided kale was an edible plant? I'm the least picky eater I know, I eat tons of leafy roughage: spinach, greens, etc., yet I cannot eat a whole serving of this disgusting plant unless I've baked it into HEAVILY seasoned "kale chips" which kind of forgoes the healthful point of the plant to begin with. I even tried using it as the base of a veggie stock full of a ton of different flavors, thinking it might add something nice if it didn't dominate: it ruined the whole soup.

I think its healthiness was developed as the only marketing ploy that could actually motivate anyone to eat something so gross.

19. spade2you

spade2you

I think this is most of it. Most studies compare super foods to poor diets. It's rare to find a study of already healthy diets compared to super foods. Super fads.

Reasonable diet, plenty of sleep, not drinking too much, and reasonable exercise work work wonders.

20. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

I think disease is a natural phase in the human life cycle. We are all born, we grow up, and eventually, after years of our body defeating what ails us, meet a disease our bodies cannot fight and croak.

To me "superfood" translates to energy. The key to fighting death is physical activity. Rest is Something that our bodies welcome as we grow and experience pains through our development. Anyone knows leaving food out to sit will see it rot. The same thing happens to our bodies.

21. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't buy it.

Eat a balanced diet.

Exercise.

When I do both of those, I'll be much better off.