1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who drives diesel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Catbuster, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Catbuster

Catbuster

Well, seeing as the injectors just ate it on my 7.3, I had a lot of time to sit in a shop. And when I sit in a shop other than my own, I often wonder random things. Like, "I wonder if The Drills and Dorje are ever going to tour the U.S?'" Or "Man, I need to restring my Jazz."

This time, it got me thinking as to who drives a diesel powered vehicle? Not necessarily my '02 Powerstroke, but any diesel engined vehicle, be it a Cat 330, Volkswagen Golf or a diesel pickup.

So... Who does drive diesel and well... What makes us do it? For me it was definitely the power and longevity, but a bunch of TDIs get 50 MPG. Which is impressive.

2. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Love my 2012 tdi jetta never get less than 40mpg on a tank. Can easily get 45-50 doing 70-80mph on flat land

3. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I would love to get a Jetta TDI, but I will likely buy something different and do a propane conversion.

lowsound

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    My work vehicles are frequently diesel powered.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fmoore200

fmoore200

ForumRunner_20121111_215047.png

Me too..

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't have anything as large as a Class B license vehicle, but the ones I drive are fairly large as well.:)

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I just got a TDI Jetta. I'm at 300 miles and still have 1/2 a tank left. It says I have 195 miles left in this tank. My last Jetta v6 would get a little less than 300 miles to the entire tank. So yeah, I'm digging this thing.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I own (and operate) an '07 Peterbilt 379, with a C15 Cat in it, set at 575 hp and 2150 torque. So I guess I drive a diesel during the week, anyway.

ForumRunner_20121111_214203.png

10. Catbuster

Catbuster

Well geez guys, and I'm sorry for the one-uppance, but I drive one of these daily, too. Or sometimes a 450 Komatsu, or sometimes a 963, or sometimes a D7.

[​IMG]

(Note: Not my pic)

11. Catbuster

Catbuster

@RyanL- Geez. 2150 torque. Wow.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    That's the highest Butler Cat would turn it up to. It was originally at 475/1850.

13. bmc

bmc

I get 33mpg with my 2011 Nissan X-trail. Not bad for a 4x4.

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I've owned several Dodges with the Cummins for over 13 years as my daily drivers. For the last 10yrs I had two: a '95 2wd thats modded to 520hp at the wheels and gets 23-26mpg. I just sold off my twin-turbo '98 4wd Ram a few days ago, I stopped counting the dyno runs when it hit 700hp as I felt I would blow it up again, and got tired of throwing money at that truck! I work at a performance and repair shop for diesel pickups.
    Back when I bought them, diesel was the way to go: lasted longer and got way better mileage than their gas counterparts. Today, no so...the regulations on the DPF equipment killed the mileage and reliability of turbos. Of course yeah, the delete stuff for them exists, but still....

As far as the Fords go, the 7.3 is the golden one to keep. Far less goes wrong with them than the later ones. Injectors do happen, but the under-valve cover wiring that feeds the injectors and glow plugs has been a bigger culprit.

15. biobass

biobass Supporting Member

I have a Jetta TDI Sportwagen that I really like. It has almost as much cargo carrying capacity as my Toyota Venza and I, also, routinely get a legitimate 40 - 42 mpg per tank with mixed driving and 45 - 50 mpg highway ( or higher on leisurely trips such as on the way home from late night gigs). While it is by no means a sports car, when driving in the sport shift mode it is really fun to drive on winding country roads. It really reminds me a bit of my old BMW 2002. Note that the new Jetta sedan has been redesigned while, currently, the Sportwagen is the older, and in my opinion, nicer design. I have owned a fair number of VWs including bugs, a Rabbit, Jetta, Golf and Passat. I did get over 200K on both the Golf and Passat, but it wasn't painless with the Passat. I am hoping to get at least 300K out of the diesel. VW does not have the same reliability record as say Toyota or Honda, but I just find them much more enjoyable to drive.

16. Catbuster

Catbuster

Yeah... The trans might be obliterated.

Caca- It was coming. I'm at 350K on this thing, and I was going to do it as a PM anyway in January.

17. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

I had an 87 E350 with a 6.9L International diesel. Got it with 90K and junked it at 230K eight years later mostly due to overwhelming roof rust and leaks from having never been garaged. The transmission was showing early signs of trouble that I improved with some sort of fluid additive. I had to do the injectors once as well however it was found later that a small air leak in the fuel line was as much the problem as old injectors. In its day it was a great vehicle and got 15-16 mpg. It had no turbo, so accelerated really sluggishly, but it had excellent torque and would grind up hills so smoothly. The only real trouble was that even with a valve adjustment, it would cough out too much black exhaust when under hard throttle, especially at altitudes above 5K ft.

I have a 92 E350 gasoline Windsor 351 powered van now, and it is worse in every way from the older diesel. Every component is just cheaper, door handles weak and prone to breaking, etc. Even the carpet and upholstery are worse. And it only gets 12 mpg, if I 'hyper-mile' it as much as possible. Not suitable as a daily driver except for a tradesman with heavy gear.

18. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

When I bought my Diesel Volkswagen Beetle in 2000 diesel was really cheap. 202,000 miles later the car is still running like a champ. It gets 40 miles to the gallon. Original clutch and exhaust system. Never had a breakdown. It's been years since I had to make a car payment. Love my diesel Beetle!

19. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

Yes^

20. silence.speaks

silence.speaks

I drive a Jeep Liberty CRD running on jet fuel.

21. OldDog52

OldDog52

VW Touareg TDI V6.