who else has a traynor yba 200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sy2319, Jan 11, 2013.

1. sy2319

sy2319

i just traded in my swr working pro 700 for a traynor yba 200. its the one that self biases the tubes. im running an svt 810 with it and everyone complains how they cant get clean head room out of it and i cant seem to overdrive the tubes. i love the tone of this amp. i have the gain about half way and if i turn it up my lows get muddy. any suggestions or anyone that has this amp? also using an esp j-4
  2. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

Remember its a passive tonestack. When i had mine i would keep mids on full, reduce treble slightly and cut bass to about 10 oclock.

No scoop
  3. sy2319

sy2319

im just trying to get that nasty gritty tone from it. i have an auguilar tone hammer that i can use but i want to see if i can do it without it. i have the treble all the way up bright on bass cut alot mids almost all the way and gain about half way.
  4. rodl2005

rodl2005

Check what pre tubes are in it. Previous owner may've put lower gain ones in.
    When I had mine, just cranking the master & having the gain up over halfway would do it.
  5. sy2319

sy2319

im pretty sure it has the original tubes. it looks like it was barely used cause it looks brand new. ill probably just end up throwing the tone hammer in front of it to boost it
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Gain all the way up, master to taste, always works for me.

I use a slight "frown smiley" eq though, highs and lows cut to 3 oclock, rest set flat, no extra switches on.

In my experience the amp needs quite a push to the right on the gain, but sounds oh so good when it gets into its sweet spot.
  7. sy2319

sy2319

i am in love with this amp. but i found out if i crank the gain to much everything is good my lows are muddy. and i think my svt 810 works perfectly with it
  8. rodl2005

rodl2005

It does work wonderfully with an S SVT810 :thumbup:
    This's why I suggested running your MASTER VOL up high & using the gain as volume- this'll let u overdrive the POWER tubes, but it will get very loud..... I often run my YBA300 (& previously a YBA200) into a robust 1x15 or even 410. You can run the power tubes hard & not be deafeningly loud.:)
  9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I thought getting the power tubes to break up takes a lot of volume.

I tried it that way once and I could hear a difference in sound but nothing I would call power tube distortion.

Someone enlighten me please?

And while we're at it, does anyone happen to know at which frequencies the EQ operates (when range at midpoint or some other point of reference)? Couldn't find it in the manual.

@sy, the first thing I did to this amp was switch out the preamp tubes to my taste, so I guess that will have an impact. Mine sounds creamy, jack bruce-ish when gain is dimed.
  10. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Guest

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    I got mine a few months ago - re-tubed it with U.S. JAN 54751 - Gold Lion 12AU7 & Gold Lion "Soft" KT88 and sounds like a real champ now.

Not that it was all that bad to begin with - just a ton of clean headroom now. HOWEVER don't trust the self-biasing. There are tons of known issues with the old 200's that they fixed with the 200-2. Might check in with Mike Holman @ Yorkville sound and he can tell you what needs done to get it up to standard.

What did you use for tubes?
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Tossed in a jj 12ax7 / ecc83s and a tt 7025 black plate into v1.

Still have the old ones which I found had a bit too much grit for me but I'm more into the old school creamy overdrive.
  12. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Guest

Disclosures:
    Hows your clean headroom now - you getting good midrange punch still?

Mine worked well but that's what I was worried about most with the upgrade.
  13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

My rig is all about the midrange lol (I play a Fender P with flats on it and as said have a reversed bathtub EQ going).

I actually don't quite like the clean sounds I get out of this amp - I feel right at home when the gain is maxed though.

I could try to see how long maxing master and adjusting vol with the input gain keeps the head clean, for kicks if anything.

One thing that amazed me about this amp is how well it reacts to what bass you hang in front of it (and whether you play with a pick or not). On my LTD tuned BEAD I get some nasty Doom sounds out of it when played with a pick while the P gives me that sweet 60s low midrange.
  14. sy2319

sy2319

i threw my tone hammer in front of it last night at practice and it sounds amazing. buuuuut. now i cant get anymore gain without getting squealy feedback. i play in a converge style band and im trying to get that real dirty bass tone i love that sound and im using a esp j-4 not an ltd. i know my bass has a bad ground in it somewhere and im not sure if that would make the extra noise. all stock tubes in traynor also
  15. MrPierre

MrPierre

I have a YBA-200 (the one without self-Bias). I usually run it with the gain almost maxed and the overdrive tone I get from it vary from basse to basse. My Precision (an Ibanez copy) will have some smooth overdrive but my Gretsch (with mini-humbucker pickups) will give a lot more drive at the same setting.

If I want more drive with the Precision I simply give my signal a "push" with an EQ pedal.
  16. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Guest

Disclosures:
    I really like the fact that as I use two wireless units on stage (one for each bass) that I can plug one unit into the "Active" input and the other into "passive" and everything stays cool as a cucumber.

Makes it so easy to switch out an instrument by simply switching one wireless transmitter off & the other on. No pops either - smooth transitions. It used to be a real pain to get the volumes of the different instruments to equalize, now it's just perhaps a slight tweak on the master output on the back of one wireless unit before the show and all is good-to-go.

Have always had issues with A/B switching while using wireless units, or dealing with heads that cancel out the opposing input when you are using the other. Now it's no problem at all. They thought of everything with the YBA200-2. (EXCEPT good tubes stock. What a bummer to re-tube to get what you want)
  17. sy2319

sy2319

well i traded my tone hammer in and got a boss odb 3. that should really do exactly what i want it too without to much noise and feedback. cant wait to play the yba out next month. i use an esp j-4 and it sounds so damn good with the traynor and my svt 810