1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who else here is of this rare breed: the acoustic bass guitar player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Silverhorizon, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Silverhorizon

Silverhorizon

I have been playing the bass guitar for 4 years, and over a year ago I picked up a good quality acoustic bass. I bought it to play acoustically as many bassists do, but plugged in it had this sound that I just loved. After that and some messing around with the acoustic bass I am now mainly an acoustic bass guitar player. Who else is of this rare breed?
  2. ncpilot2

ncpilot2

I have a Michael Kelly Club Custom 4 and love the tone. I don't play it exclusively, but it does blend well with other acoustic instruments, better than most electrics.
  3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I love my Oscar Schidt 4 string acoustic/electric.

I had put the bass down for a couple of years, sold of my gear.
    For my 30th b-day I decided to get a bass again. I didn't even know they made acoustics (this was 14 years ago). I happened to see the O.S. in a used guitar store and bought it.

It changed my world in that I could go outside and play without having to lug gear around (imagine, I used to lug around my electric with a pocket rockit amp so I could play outside).

I still have it and love it, although it's not my only bass.
  4. MD

MD

I am. Pretty much sounds like my story... tone. Although, I do take an EBG to a certain open mic/jam gig I do. I'll not hand over my B10 in that context.
  5. basszoned

basszoned

I can't say that I am exclusively an Acoustic Bassist, but these days I play my Michael Kelly 5 string Fretless more than the electrics. here is a link below.

Best Regards,
    Fred Melillo

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Developer: iGigBook Sheet Music Manager
    A good deal of the playing I do is with this acoustic bass:

[​IMG]
  7. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

I picked up a used Ibanez, the cheaper one, just for living room use and the occasional afternoon patio gig. It came with tapes on it, loved it right away. What I didn't expect was how much I love playing it in a rock context. It feels alive like my Gretsch guitar used to and I can get nice musical feedback out of it. I have a feeling that its going to get a lot of play time in my rock band!
  8. silvertone

silvertone

To me - 99% of Acoustic Guitar Basses are crappy sounding, even if they have good set ups and are easy to play. The key thing most of them are devoid of is bass presence - similar to an upright - the sound pressure they emit just doesn't satisfy my ears.

There have been three exceptions I've experienced.

Some years ago while at the Oregon Country Fair I jammed with a guy who had a beautiful Dave Maize Acoustic Bass. I asked him his name. He said Dave.... (do the math).

At another fest I jammed with a guy who converted a Mexican Guitarron into a very deep and profound sounding Acoustic bass - the scale length was super short but the sound pressure was astounding.

The very best acoustic guitar bass I've heard is the rare, and difficult to find Ernie Ball Earthwood bass. The only band I've ever seen that had one was the Banana Slug String Band from Santa Cruz, CA.

Attached Files:

9. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

I'd say I play acoustic about 60% of the time. Picked up a Michael Kelly Firefly a few months ago and I like it a lot. Sounds good and I don't worry much about it not having the same tone; I know it's not the same thing...but, that's me.

My biggest problem is that I've only played for about 3-4 years, and I'm having issues with the string spacing of the acoustic. I've only had one instrument that whole time and frankly, I just play it better. For some reason it's manifested itself only recently. Oh well, practice-practice-practice I suppose.
  10. thunderstation

thunderstation

I have a Martin B1 - that I got somewhere around 1994 -I love playing it - although I prefer my precision- but the acoustic has a really nice sound- occasionally a friend of mine has a group of people to come over and play acoustic music - it's perfect for that unplugged - usually when I plug it in I use a DOD 10 band equalizer on it - with a peavey minx.-
  11. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

I play mostly at open mics and prefer not to bring an amp to play three songs. I can often play my electric bass though the PA, but some hosts have smaller PAs and won't let me use my EB through them. I don't blame them. A tech told me that the pickup in an ABG plays nicer with PAs, so I got one. I use it about as often as my EB for my open mics and almost exclusively for practice.
  12. Big Band Hand

Big Band Hand Supporting Member

I bought an Epi a few years ago and although the acoustic sound is not stellar, the plugged-in sound is great as others have noted. It is sometimes cumbersome to play as the sound box is full size so it sits out away from the player's body unlike a regular electric. The on-board eq is 4 band which includes a sub-bass, around 40-50hz and a feedback control. What type of strings do you all use? I did not like the bronze that came with it so I switched them out for LB nylon tapewounds but they seem very stiff. Has anyone tried the very expensive Thomastik nylon cores?
  13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

I've been GASing for one real bad, but I don't have the extra $$$.
  14. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm allergic to lentils, lima beans and Hip-Hop.
    Lately my Taylor AB1 gets more play than my Zon. There are very few good AE bass builds out there unfortunately - but this is one of them!
  15. MD

MD

I ran the TI Acousticors on my Takamine EG512 for a short while. They're very light gauge (.041-.086) and super low tension; took a while to get used to them as my pizz attack needed to change quite a bit.

They offer a vary nice, warm tone, but are pretty much useless when it comes down to generating any kind of acoustic volume. The low tension just doesn't allow you to dig in to get the strings moving (forget about the campfire scene). I also suspect they're better for a fretless bass as I wore fret notches in them after a couple months. When I pulled them, it was only a matter of time before they snapped.

I went to LaBella Tapes after the TI's and haven't felt a need to try anything else since, especially given the price difference and the longevity of the tapes.

Of course... IMO, YMMV, blah, blah....
  16. bwbass

bwbass

I play my six-string ABG around 90% of the time, at open mics, busking, and on club gigs. Its a Cort that I modified like a sort of doubled 3-string, tuned E-A-D plus octave strings for each

Attached Files:

17. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Not being able to afford a Tacoma Thunderchief, I found an ad in the back of Bass Player magazine a number of years ago for Michael Kelly. They looked impressive on the website. At the time, new ones with supposed finish flaws, which I never found on mine, were on sale on Ebay. I picked up a Dragonfly four string for $315. For the price, it's a wonderful instrument, sounds good and is nice and loud without plugging in. It is my instrument for practice in my house on a daily basis. For those of us with modest incomes, it is a terrific instrument IMO.
  18. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I've been waiting for this Rockbass Alien Deluxe 6 since Nov 2012. (Release date keeps getting pushed back.) At present, both Warwick Distribution and the vendor where I pre-ordered, advised the Warwick and Rockbass Alien 6's are supposed to arrive sometime within July 2013.

[​IMG]
  19. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

A good while back I was playing in a couple of acts where I used the ABG almost exclusively. I quite enjoyed it.
    One was an acoustic/electric setting with drums, the other was in a folky/singer-songwriter duo.

At one point I was using a foam mute, a sub-bass/reverb effect, and coming up with a very passable 'bull fiddle' sound.
    A SABDDI worked great with it too.

These days it hangs on the wall in my dining room. I probably play it every other day in some form or other just to noodle, work out bass lines, practice scales etc. Strangely, my playing ability on that bass seems to be exponentially better than my electric playing!:eyebrow:

I never liked the bronze string thing and have used EB Regular Slinky on there for years. Not much volume acoustically (there never really was unless solo), but plugged in it's lovely.
    I've also found that taking it camping makes for amazing campfire jams.

I wish the neck on my ABG was on every other bass I own. It's so nice.
  20. GAPendragon

GAPendragon

I'm planning to buy a semi-acoustic in the near future, if that counts. Never played or bought an upright Bass due to lack of space, but I did play Cello at school so I at least know that I could. :p