1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who else really no longer plays?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Nov 16, 2012.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Up until a few years ago I was really fairly active in music. When I was not playing in my own band or bands, I was out supporting friends at their gigs, or spending hours playing and practicing at home. When I wasn't playing music I was listening to music.

These days aside from a project I am in where I am essentially helping out some less experienced players once a month or so I do very little playing even at home.

There are many reason for this that I don't want to get into, but the bottom line is I really just don't feel that motivation, spark, drive or whatever you want to call it. I guess I have pretty much moved onto (or in some cases back to) other interests.

Anyone else?

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

When you say you were fairly active in music what were you doing?

Blue

3. glocke1

glocke1

full time gigging band (jam band genre) playing originals and covers locally and regionally, along with various local and regional festivals, side projects that included a swing orchestra, and original bands, and also the odd jazz combo from time to time...not too mention countless hours practicing.

have tried over the past year or so to get into it, and aside from this one thing that barely keeps my interest up it just isn't happening, whatever that spark I had was just really seems to be gone for good...

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I get the feeling those genres and activities are not your personal 1st choice.

You should think about what would make you happy, come up with a plan and execute.

Blue

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Take a break for awhile. Don't sell your stuff.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Same boat... diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and stopped playing a while to allow my wrists time to relax. I found other things to fill the void.

I miss playing live, but I wouldn't change my life now for anything.

One day, it'll come back into my life in a big way, but until then, I'm a casual player.

8. Righteous Thunderer

Righteous Thunderer

I go in spurts as it's something I'm more interested in as opposed to dedicated to. Additionally, I don't have the time to really be in a band usually, so it tends to spike up when that opportunity arises. Right now, I pick it up and play it like once a week for a bit, just to mess around with randomness.