Who finds black basses boring?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Oct 28, 2012.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

I don't know is it due to the fact I own 4 basses and 2 of em are black. The other 2 being white and sunburst. Talk about being generic huh.

I have considered refinishing one of my black basses. This 89 stingray, black w rosewood bored and tort pg. My favourite of the bunch, in fact. Only thing stopping me from doing so is that its 'semi-vintage' and I really like the battle scars on the body.

Sometimes I wonder if it a case of the grass being on the otherside. I remember that in not too distant past, my favourite color was black w rosewood and I used to think that seafoam green looks cheesy. But now I find myself creaming over fiesta red basses w maple boards.

Its always a shame the best sounding basses Ive played are not always the most handsome ones.

Anyways, I know that color should be the last thing I take into considering when picking a bass... but it doesnt hurt if you feel that ur bass looks like the sex right?

2. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    Is my bass boring?
    [​IMG]

3. electracoyote

electracoyote

Not to offend anyone's sensibilities, but for the most part, yes, I avoid black basses only because they are so common. Oddly, I still like the nostalgic look of sunburst, which I readily admit is equally common.

I do own one noteable exception, my (unofficial) Fender Precision Phil Lynott Tribute.

I understand the comment about "sometimes the best playing bass is the least attractive." I'm playing guitar in another band and my best playing and sounding guitar at the moment is...you guessed it...black.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I don't think black basses are boring I love my black Big Block Precision wouldn't like it any other color and Roey that looks amazing

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. declassified

declassified

in a word...yes!

Black basses are boring, black cars are boring, black guitars are boring.

this coming from someone who has 1 white guitar, 1 black guitar, 1 wine red guitar and 1 sunburst bass. I'm left handed and love fenders, my options colourwise are severely limited.:bawl:

7. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

Agreed. Even though the color black is probably "best for metal", it has become somewhat cliché. I've got a black bass also and the best way to "jazz" it up, other than putting a jazz pickup in it, would be a contrasting pickgaurd. And I'm flirting with the Phil look as well.

8. Datsgor

Datsgor

Yes. I own three of them. I constantly wish they were other colors.

9. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Yeah, my Warwick Rockbass Streamer is black, and I really dont like it, especially because most Warwicks have great finishes.

Thing is that my fiancé bought it for me as an anniversary gift and she loves the look of it. She thinks it looks great for rock and that i should keep it how it is. Because she bought it for me, I have a hard time bringing sandpaper to it.

10. LB75

LB75

I agree. I also don't like black because it makes it harder to see any details on the bass unless you're right up on in. I really don't like any painted bass, I want to see the wood. I don't mind stain as long as the wood grain is visible. I don't like bursts either, they look dated to me but I recently bought a no name jazz copy that's a three color sunburst and it's growing on me.

11. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

depends on the bass, but all black "stealth" basses don't appeal to me

12. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Yup, booring. I'm not a fan of tobacco sunburst either. Black with gold hardware isn't too bad...

13. electracoyote

electracoyote

I know a good auto detailer, he does amazing pinstripe work. I'm thinking of letting him do at least a little faux binding and maybe a cool tribal pattern to bring some definition to my black Telecaster.

14. kevteop

kevteop

I've had two black basses and in all the photos I ever saw of them, all you could see was greasy fingerprints.

15. Néal Zheimer

Néal Zheimer

I do.

On the other hand if it sounds good, it sounds good.

16. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Interesting idea

17. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

Your bass, sir, is GORGEOUS.

Also, on topic: for me, tone is the most important thing. It's easier to change colors than it is to change tone.

I play a beat-up Schecter Diamond Series. I thought about refinishing/sanding it, but decided against it because I was afraid of changing the tone.

To me, sound is king. Jaco's bass is worse off than mine (as far as battle scars go), and he's a virtuoso.

$.02

18. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

Yes,
    Boring I only have 2 black basses 1 USA Millenium and 1 Foundation 2000. I have a G Bass that is "Hollow Flake" but not just black. This is probably the best color bass I have !

sarzo.jpg

19. robd

robd Supporting Member

There are ways to spice up a black bass

Attached Files:

20. electracoyote

electracoyote

Cool!

21. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i like the red and silver toggle switches and old school radio dials on a certain black bass i have my eye on