who has a moded soundgear bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gpx1200, Apr 13, 2014.

1. gpx1200

gpx1200

pickups,defret,bridge,electricks what have you changed on your Ibanez soundgear bass and did you like the result.
    the reason I ask is I have an sr500 that just doesn't do it for me anymore, at least tone wise that is, I love the way it plays except for the huge pickups messing with my thumb placement and the poo brown stain just makes it look like a piece of old decking off my porch and the finish is so fragile I wind up with peices of the bass under my fingernails every time I play it
    so since the bass has pretty low resale value im thinking a drastic makeover is in order.
    my plan so far.. fill/reroute pickup cavitys for emg 35's to better acomidate my pickhand and better match my other basses wich also have emg 35's so I can swap pickup styles between them, p's,j's,humbuckers,ect...
    new preamp to go with the pickups, probably agulair obp3. I have put agies in 2 of my spectors and I think it will compliment the tone of the Ibanez very well.
    possibly a new hipshot brass bridge, I have read about the ishues with the iby bridge and noticed one of the string retainers on mine beginning to move and honestly I just like brass bridges(even though mine will be black).
    hipshot D-tuner( just gota have it around here everybody drop tunes)
    possibly a black stain on the ugly gray looking fretboard(yes I oil it regularly) or some other way to highlight the ablonie inlays(best looking part of the bass I think).
    im also considering defreting it with an epoxy coating on the neck over black stain with silver fret lines but this might ruin the playability of the bass for me if I don't like it as a fretless so this option is still in consideration.
    finaly a custom finish on the bass with real paint and nice shiny(and hard) clearcoat.

2. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I have an older SR400 that feels very comfortable so I changed out the old pickups to DiMarzio P/J's and put a set of Chromes on it. I have compared it to a Fender American Precision when I owned one for a short time (both had flats), and it sounded VERY comparable. I think if I were to change the pickups today, I'd definitely go with EMG's Geezer Butler, but I love passive tones.