1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

who has a moded soundgear bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gpx1200, Apr 13, 2014.

1. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    pickups,defret,bridge,electricks what have you changed on your Ibanez soundgear bass and did you like the result.
    the reason I ask is I have an sr500 that just doesn't do it for me anymore, at least tone wise that is, I love the way it plays except for the huge pickups messing with my thumb placement and the poo brown stain just makes it look like a piece of old decking off my porch and the finish is so fragile I wind up with peices of the bass under my fingernails every time I play it
    so since the bass has pretty low resale value im thinking a drastic makeover is in order.
    my plan so far.. fill/reroute pickup cavitys for emg 35's to better acomidate my pickhand and better match my other basses wich also have emg 35's so I can swap pickup styles between them, p's,j's,humbuckers,ect...
    new preamp to go with the pickups, probably agulair obp3. I have put agies in 2 of my spectors and I think it will compliment the tone of the Ibanez very well.
    possibly a new hipshot brass bridge, I have read about the ishues with the iby bridge and noticed one of the string retainers on mine beginning to move and honestly I just like brass bridges(even though mine will be black).
    hipshot D-tuner( just gota have it around here everybody drop tunes)
    possibly a black stain on the ugly gray looking fretboard(yes I oil it regularly) or some other way to highlight the ablonie inlays(best looking part of the bass I think).
    im also considering defreting it with an epoxy coating on the neck over black stain with silver fret lines but this might ruin the playability of the bass for me if I don't like it as a fretless so this option is still in consideration.
    finaly a custom finish on the bass with real paint and nice shiny(and hard) clearcoat.

2. Sponsored by:

3. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have an older SR400 that feels very comfortable so I changed out the old pickups to DiMarzio P/J's and put a set of Chromes on it. I have compared it to a Fender American Precision when I owned one for a short time (both had flats), and it sounded VERY comparable. I think if I were to change the pickups today, I'd definitely go with EMG's Geezer Butler, but I love passive tones.