1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who Has Put a Jazz Neck on their P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Did it work out - or did you go back to the original neck?
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I swapped with a Carvin SB-4000 neck. I love it!
  3. JCRob

JCRob

I did the opposite: a P-neck in a Jazz body. It turned out great for me. Does that help??:)
  4. treekiller

treekiller

Not trying to derail your thread, but I have P necks on both of my Jazz basses. I prefer them and it made them much more comfortable for me to play. I say go for it, however unless it was a parts bass to begin with I'd keep the original neck. That way, if you ever decide to sell it or whatever you can put it back. I still have both of my Jazz necks, just in case..... :cool:
  5. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

No, it's an Am Std P. I've bought a Mighty Mite licensed neck for £99 so not a big expense. If that works out I'll probably buy an original Fender neck and if not - just put the old neck back.
  6. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I have a Jazz neck on my Pbass. I really love it. The carvin sb4000 neck is a great in-between too. I actually prefer the SB to either the p or j necks, but the J is a close second for me. Of course, it really depends on the necks in question.
  7. treekiller

treekiller

I ended up buying an Am. Std. P-neck for my Am. Std. Jazz, besides being an excellent neck that way I could use my tuners without any drilling, etc. However I had modded my MIM Jazz first, so I knew it was what I wanted. I put an Allparts neck on it, but wish now it had an MIM neck. You might want to consider finding a good used MIM P neck instead, it probably wouldn't cost you that much more in the end. Good luck, I hope it works out for you! :cool:
  8. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I have a couple. I love em.

[​IMG]

1966 J neck on a 1970 P Body
    [​IMG]

1972 J neck on a 2001 50th anniversary P Body
    [​IMG]
  9. elgecko

elgecko

Me...no problems. I actually would've preferred a P Neck but Modulus VJ necks are way easier to find.

[​IMG]
  10. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I have one P-bass with a Jazz neck.

It's a nod to my age.......when my arthritis gets really bad, I play that one on stage.

That may sound crazy - but it works for me. I'd much rather play a P-bass neck but sometimes the old hands won't cooperate.
  11. estringnyc

estringnyc Supporting Member

I put a Lakland Skyline JO maple neck on my LS black Glaub. This bass is my workhorse.
  12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

This neck swap has been done for 50 years. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes it don't.
  13. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I got an 80's CIJ Jazz neck on a 2001 MIM P-Bass. No way I would ever go back.
  14. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have 3 p's with j necks. They all are great. I like p necks too though they are easy to play fast without accidentally clipping other strings. I actually prefer j necks for practice and p necks when I play shows.
  15. Mykk

Mykk

I have one too. Fender MIM J neck on Precision copy body. Works, plays, sounds just fine.
  16. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

I have an ESP Jazz neck on my MIJ Precision; it's the best P-bass I've ever owned.
  17. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

I have a Moses J neck on a Warmoth P body with P Pickups.
  18. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Would an MIM neck be of acceptable quality to put on an Am Std P?
  19. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Fender does it all the time.
  20. fish slapper

fish slapper

I haven't gone that way but am interested in doing it too. My Warmoth fretless is a J body and a P neck and it worked out great. The only issue I can think of is the string spacing being different so they don't line up exactly above the pickup poles. But since my above project worked fine, I'm guessing its a non-issue since its so close to the bridge that as long as the string spacing on the bridge is correct, you should be good to go.