Who has used a Green Rhino?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I have become quite intrigued with the green rhino overdrive lately. I have watched a few videos but would like to hear from somebody who has used it personally. I currently use the mad professors blueberry overdrive and am considering making a trade for the green rhino or selling mine to fund a green rhino. Has anybody used this pedal? What are the CONS of this pedal, if any? I like the blueberry but it's almost a little too vintage sounding if that makes sense. Thanks guys
  2. punisher911

punisher911

I'm with you. I like the sound clips on the Green Rhino on the lowest OD setting. Just dirties up the sound a bit. I'm leaning towards the Pork Loin personally though. Trying to decided which of these two to buy.
  3. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Great pedal with no cons. To my ears it sounds like a nicely dialed in tube screamer.
    It's a bit more aggressive than the Pork Loin and the the 100Hz tone correction allows to put in just the right amount of bass. It's also touch sensitive and capable of mild to wild distortion.
  4. j0616bass

j0616bass

I have one as well. If you like the sound of a tube screamer circuit on bass, it's a great pedal. As Laurent said, the low frequency boost makes all the difference.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

Further agreement. I used one for about a year, a 70's Jazz bass into an SVT. Very tube screamer with 100hz control. +1. Didn't work as well with the Wal though.
  7. Musicman1901

What didn't sound good about using it with a Wal? My main bass is a Wal MKI. I would like to hear what you thought about the pedal with your wal. Alot of my effects act very differently with my wal than my other basses. What did you like and not like about the rhino with your wal? Thanks for any information man.
  8. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

A fellow TBer posted this vid on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alFVIvl2YKg

Best demo/comparison I have heard yet on bass, its what ultimately led me to decide on the Pork Loin since I already had a distortion.
  9. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

I had a green rhino. Best tubescreamer ive tried with bass, and sounded to me to be the most natural overdrive sound for the GK head I was using at the time. since - moved on to tubes and a b3k, cant comment on how it works with that setup.
  10. Musicman1901

Great video! I'm thinking about trading my blueberry for the green rhino. Seems like a better fit for me overall. The pork loin seems like an interesting pedal as well but it doesn't really seem to drive to hard. It might be cool to layer over another overdrive or distortion to intensify it or it would be a great pedal to make a dirty channel.
  11. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

Best OD pedal on the market (and I've had them all, I think!). You can adjust it to get any sound you want. I have mine adjusted for slight dirt and no too much jump in output and I use it on choruses to add some zing wothout having to dig in too much. I highly recommend it. I actually have one on my bass pedalboard AND my guitar board!
  12. Musicman1901

Yeah i'm falling in love with it more every minute. Bums me out i spent 165 on the blueberry overdrive and now want something i could have bought for cheaper. Guess thats what i get for not doing adequate research haha
  13. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

Effect Pedals are like blue jeans - you can never have too many!! Plus you can trade them like baseball cards!!
  14. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

First off, I should say I play with a pick, which sometimes is left out of the discussion when comparing gain pedals, and unfortunately for us pick players, lots of demo videos. Also I use Mesa cabinets which are pretty bright.
    The Rhino broke up in a great way with my Jazz bass, and brought out some scream in the mids where it's a little lacking. With the Wal, the tone itself is pretty ringy like a piano string and the active signal is hotter, so I didn't feel like I could turn down the gain enough. In general, when I'm playing one of my passive basses with gain, and I shut off the distortion pedal, it suddenly seems dull and less dimensional. This is not the case with the Wal really, so I end up using not much gain, and the Rhino didn't excel in that department. The Pork Loin was just OK.
    I've had a similar experience in that many of the gain pedals (MXR M-80, Bass Drive, Green Rhino, Elements, Rat Tail, etc..) I used with J's and P's didn't work well with my MK1. My best guess is that those pedals add a fair amount of color to the sound, and that's not what I was looking for with the Wal. Also, it's possible that because screamer type pedals and the Rat Tail are pretty mid prominent, and the Wal is so full range, not a little weak in the mids like some J's are.
    That wouldn't explain why the M-80 isn't so good for it, because it's distortion side is pretty scooped, but then a lot of people aren't too crazy about the gain sound in general. I think the Darkglass works well as long as long the drive isn't too high. Right now I'm using a VT Bass, because you can turn the gain down and the EQ works pretty well, but still on the lookout for the right thing. Also, the Rusty Box (totally different from the VT) is working well. Honestly, and this can be a daunting task, what is sounding best to me right now is combining pedals, even for low gain, i.e. M-80 (gain on or off) or Rusty Box, with pedals, even guitar pedals like M-80 with MXR GT-OD, or Rusty Box with B3K. Maybe Rhino with M-80? I haven't tried it.
    Sorry to be so off topic, but I figured I would share some Wal info.
    Good Luck!
  15. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

I reread this thread after I posted, and I think we're looking for different things. I see your response to the Pork Loin/Rhino video was that the Pork Loin maybe didn't break up enough, whereas for me, that's plus for the Wal. On the E string, I could get away with a fair amount of gain, but the A,D and G, string started to get a little fizzy and the Wal goodness was lost. Not to shamelessly plug myself, and if you're interested, here's a short video (iPhone) of the Wal with the VT with gain set pretty low, around 9 o'clock. It's the tone before the fuzz kicks in.

Anyway, I don't want to disparage the Rhino just because it didn't work out in my specific low gain situation.
  16. Musicman1901

Wow thanks for such an in depth response. The tone in that video is awesome. I know the quality is mediocre cuz its on an iphone but you can hear the core of the tone and its beautiful. Makes me want a new amp lol. Anyways I think your right in the fact that were looking for different things. I do have a turbo rat i use for light grit but I am looking for something that really breaks up alot for when i want to get a really crunchy sound. I appreciate your time to explain all that and you've made me want to take a closer look at the VT!
  17. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Reading this thread I think another option if your using a bass like the Wal is to look at a mid scooped overdrive like the Fuzzrocious Oh See Demon as it can achieve great distortion/overdriven tones between hardly any dirt to full on.
  18. Nno Mar

Nno Mar

I've tried one and it sounds really great.
    However I was looking for something more fuzzy and went for the swollen pickle! :)

But still, great sounding pedal the green rhino!
  19. punisher911

punisher911

I'm still thinking about the Green Rhino.. My Swollen Pickle seems to get buried in the mix, but I just adjusted the internal pots to try something different(see how that goes Friday). I like the SP fuzz for some songs, but I want to pick up the GR for lesser fuzz/OD/slightly dirty sounds. If GC would carry the Pork Loin, I'd already have bought that. They do have the GR in stock though.
  20. Musicman1901

I would agree with you punisher911, I find alot of fuzz pedals get buried in the mix and i'm not sure why. My overdrive and distortion cut fine but when i kick on my fuzz i feel like it struggles to break into the mix. I'm thinking about buying a booster to put on the same loop as my fuzz so when i kick it on it gets a little volume boost to make it more assertive in the mix
  21. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

I have it, and it's my favourite pedal. It dials a very harsh and mean Overdrive, and as other have mentionned, you can dial the amount of bass you need, but also the mids, ideal for cutting through! I use a Bad Monkey for a more tubey overdrive, and this little fella for mild to wild distortion, just so I can have both options in the same song, but the Green Rhino can also be very tubey with the gain on minimum, but it's not exactly a ''subtle'' pedal!