1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who inspired you to become a bassist? (part 2)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

2. jsingles

jsingles

id say my best friend and guitarist encouraged me to pursue it, even before I was inspired as much by other bass players.
  3. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Flea and Tim Commerford
  4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

For me it was John Taylor of Duran Duran. I was real young and their music and videos were everywhere at that time. I just remember the middle of Hungry Like The Wolf and thinking that was real cool. I quickly detoured into Rush and havent left since...
  5. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

John Illsley and Victor Wooten.
  6. TAOspeedwagon

TAOspeedwagon

the dude from Muse and Flea
  7. VanzKantDanz

VanzKantDanz

James Jamerson and Robert DeLeo.
  8. ThunderSix66

ThunderSix66

my mom haha, shes a professional bassist
  9. hublocker

hublocker

Gene Larabee and Eric Geisreiter, a teenage guitarist and drummer who showed up in Sointula the summer of 1969 and wanted to form a band. At 16 I got drafted to play bass so we borrowed a Harmony Meteor electric guitar, took the two high strings off and Gene showed me bass licks. I had never played a riff in my life, only simple chords on the guitar.

Didn't even know how to walk up to C from G
  10. PauperBoy

PauperBoy

Free beer and chicks.
  11. grieverOSOK

grieverOSOK

chili peppers
  12. Mojonuts

Mojonuts

Listened to a lot of Queen and The Beatles when I started out, so I was mostly inspired by John Deacon and Sir Paul.
  13. CiRRuS~BaSS

CiRRuS~BaSS

Ric Fierabracci's bass solo when he played with Yanni live at the Acropolis was the first solo i really took interest in. that solo still sticks in my head today, and really got me interested in the bass.
  14. rsrhcp

rsrhcp

+1...yes!

+10...Yes!

+100...YES!

+1000...YES!!!!!!!!!
  15. onlyclave

onlyclave

I don't remember who made me want to play bass but I can remember a defining moment at the Reno International Jazz Festival at UNR when I was at a clinic with this bass player named Morley Lowden (I think) and I was so blown away by his 5 str fretless playing I decided right there I was going to be a bass player. I walked away from a full ride trumpet scholarship to play bass and never looked back.

The absolute best bass performance I've ever seen was Otiel Burbridge with the Aquarium Rescue Unit, 4-7-94 in Eugene OR. at the WOW Hall. That sealed the deal.
  16. XtreO

XtreO

We had music-lessons at school in our 9th year. We were to play a song, simply put- We had a guitarist, we had a vocalist, but drums and bass were unoccupied. I chose the bass, learned Otherside by Red Hot, and thought it so fun I picked up a bass of my own :D So it was really Flea from Red Hot, a man whom I've admired ever since, despite the fact that I don't play funk.
  17. Mr. Tree

Mr. Tree

Mike Watt
    Karl Alvarez
    Paul McCartney
    Dee Dee Ramone
  18. Jizzlobber

Jizzlobber

initially it was cliff burton but later its become jaco and chris squire and the guy that played with the mothers on joes garage
  19. cryptobuddhist

cryptobuddhist

I just posted on the last thread :\. But really melodic bass players like Kim Deals and Peter Hook at first. But hearing Bela's CD 'Left of Cool' was like...whoa for me. Then discovering Jaco and Im sure you guys know the story.

I like Flea alot though and he plays really tasteful stuff, but everyone in my HS would look down on you if you weren't some uber slap bassist. Needless to say I never played in any battle of the bands because I had a fretless hahaha and refused to play anything with frets(bad Squire experiance :p ) but Im coming around now and Im about to buy a new '08 standard american jazz with frets :p.

!@~
  20. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

i was hanging out in my school's music room and then the teacher announced that the band needs a bass player so i just sticked my hand out and volunteered to learn the instrument! :D