1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who is the Steve Harris of Thrash Metal?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by davidjackson, Feb 12, 2014.

1. davidjackson

davidjackson Supporting Member

Hi guys,

I've recently started listening to a lot of heavier metal and thrash including Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, along with newer stuff like Killswitch Engage, Trivium, FFDP and Skeleton Witch etc.

Although I like the growly pick tone that a lot of the bass players have in these bands I was wondering if you could recommend any particular players who really stand out and drive the band. The reason I have asked about the "Steve Harris of Thrash Metal" is that I am interested in bass players who are really at the heart of the band and define the whole sound by the way their bass comes through.

I've already started listening to some Alex Webster clips but who else would you suggest I check out?

PS: Although I love the music I'm too old to get the squabbles about what is metal core/post-metal core/screamo/djent/black metal/death metal etc.

I might not be able to define thrash but I know it when I hear it!
  2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    First that comes to my mind is clearly Cliff Burton. The bassist of the band that defined "thrash metal". He did some outstanding things and as far as I am into this genre (I might be a bit too young) he defined how a bass should sound in Thrash Metal
    Next one would be Ellefson for me - Although he did not write all the riffs himself, he played the bass in the first line and very audible with riffs that were just as catchy as the guitar parts. Very cutting sound
  3. knumbskull

knumbskull

I like a lot of Dan Lilker's stuff (early Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Brutal Truth, and others)... he is definitely a strong presence but i don't know if he really has an identifiable sound.
  4. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

5. davidjackson

davidjackson Supporting Member

6. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

No problem. The man is a monster. :)
  7. Bassist_5LX

Bassist_5LX 35 year Thrash/Death Metal Veteran Bassist Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Spector Basses / Ampeg / D'Addario
    David Ellefson

8. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Digiorgio by a country mile. No one comes close imo
  9. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Sadus
    Death
    Megadeth

Cynic (Sean Malone)

Might not all be thrash... but whatever, the bass playing is what you want to hear.
  10. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    That stage looked awesome back in the time, and still does :)
  11. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Jean-Yves "Blacky" Theriault - VOIVOD....no other like him and his signature blower bass.
  12. sotua

sotua

Check out a band called SOEN. The music sounds very Tool-derivative, but that rhythm section is out of this world: Steve diGiorgio and Martin Lopez.
  13. LDonnie

LDonnie Supporting Member

Frank Bello and Cliff Burton come to mind
  14. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

16. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I have to go with Cliff Burton, too. Metallica might have ended up being Cliff's band, just like Harris is to Maiden. Several things make me feel this way:

1. The three guys in Metallica moved upstate just to play with Cliff. There had to have been some deals/ultimatums involved, or maybe they just did as he suggested. He was THAT good..and had more "big time" experience from his earlier established band Trauma. Also something to think about; Cliff was the only real virtuoso of the band when he joined Metallica. They grew around Cliff's influence..and attitude.

2. Having a full 5 minute bass solo(Pulling Teeth) is a big deal, considering Cliff wasn't even around during the writing process of what became the first album. "We'll give you carte blanch if you stick around, Cliff!"

3. 'Master of Puppets' would have been a completely different album, without Cliff. Who else would get a whole 8 minute song based almost entirely on the bass guitar(which included guitar-like bass solos, along with 8 or so tracks of backing bass)? You don't "let" a musician contribute THAT much. With 'Master of Puppets' being their most successful and best album to date, I bet the management, record label, and band would've stuck to the "Cliff formula".

Can you tell I like Cliff?
  17. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

Agreed and one cant forget the bassists for DRI and Dark Angel stand out rythem and excellent timing.
  18. DevilOfBurden

DevilOfBurden

Has to be Cliff Burton for me. The 3 albums he made with Metallica have some amazing bass playing!
  19. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Cliff, of course!

But also Greg Christian is pretty beastly.
  20. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Timi Hansen of Mercyful Fate really does it for me, his tone is just always there and works really well in the band situation.