Who is your Internet Provider?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Who provides your internet service?

What do you pay per month for internet? And how many Mbps do you have?

Im trying to find a better provider for our house. We're paying too much for too little right now.
  2. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

Here are my 2 cents, which are not even first hand

Many Youtubers who make a living off it live in LA. Their livelihood is dependent of having means to provide content quickly and consistently. They will get literally the best internet money can buy, and are still overpaying for a poor service by Time Warner Cable, which they collectively hate. Monopoly in their area and all that.

In short, the options and prices you have are specific to your area and you may or may not have much choice in the matter.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I have an inclusive package from Virgin Media, just short of £40 ($65) for line rental, land line calls, cable TV and 30Mb internet (unlimited downloads).

Though going to be cutting the cable TV in the future.

As Bocete says though, even within the US, the prices and availabilities are going to vary widely!
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

$34 bucks a month for just internet through time warner cable, (no phone or cable). I don't know the Mbps, but it's fast.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MatticusMania

Likely, its 15mbps, if its the same deal I was getting.
    Our roommate wanted to switch cable providers, which I didnt mind, but when we dropped TW cable we also dropped their internet. The provider we have now is charging $50 for 10Mbps, and its horrible.
  7. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

I have AT&T U-verse. It is $28. a month, after an introductory price of $14.95 for the first 12 months. A two year contract for the service was required. It has decent speed, but I'm not sure what it is
  8. MatticusMania

They had a good deal going, aside from the activation fees, but unfortunately do not service our area.
    When I tried calling they redirected me to Verizon, who just wanted to sell me Fios and lock me into a 2 year contract.
  9. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I'm paying $40 / month to ComCurst for shoddy service. But, as previously mentioned, they have a monopoly. Being a monopoly means you don't have to give a damn how your customers feel about the service you provide.
  10. pedroims

pedroims

Charter $40 at month, this thing is fast enough to stream movies in 4 different devices at the same time, right now my wife is watching netflix, my son is playing online, my daughter is listening pandora and I am surfing the web.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Comcast 50Mb service in a bundle. I think it runs about $50 a month though purchased separately.

-Mike
  12. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Verizon FIOS. Speeds are 75/35. Not sure what the price is separate because it's part of a bundle. The service is the best I have ever had.
  13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

14. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I have AT&T U-Verse and it sucks. It keeps going up and down. I have had AT&T work on it numerous times and they still haven't fixed the problem. It will get better briefly then, bam, Netflix starts re-loading in the middle of movies and my I start getting messages on my lap top saying the internet is down. Don't give me advice because I don't want it. Trust me we have replaced everything more than once.
    There is a local provider called Monkey Brains that is supposed to be good. Several of my neighbors have it and they are very happy. One guy is a film editor and he sends a lot of data over the internet. I'm switching to them. The cost is about the same and I also like the idea of supporting a small local company.

Don't have cable TV, don't want it so this is a stand alone.

http://www.monkeybrains.net/
  15. MatticusMania

:confused:
  16. Immigrant

Immigrant

My late mother had FIOS and it was great.

This is a touchy subject for me because big media corps have been greasing the FCC's palms resulting in the monopolies that we have now. I heard that the big cable providers who have become massive ISPs have seen a trend in people ditching their upper-tier cable packages and their Internet use ramping up due to Hulu and Netflix gaining in popularity. Now they are in talks with the doodoo heads in DC to change the way they charge for Internet use so that if you are using Netflix constantly, they can charge you more.

Diggin' the new avatar BTW!
  17. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Accidentally posted, went to edit and got bored, forgot about the half post.

You will never hit the advertised speed, that is like a theoretical max if no one else is on, the planets are aligned, and two fingers returns.

The oligopolies on information service are ridiculous.
  18. MatticusMania

Oh, I understand that much. Its ridiculous.
    I tried to do a speed check on my laptop the other day. The internet was going too slow for my computer to give a reading.

:scowl:
  19. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Comcast.

Not sure what it costs....bundled with cable TV and home phone.
  20. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    AT&T U-Verse, net connection only. Where we are is a bit of a backwater so the service is horribly under-provisioned and practically useless on a rainy Friday evening when the whole zipcode is watching Netflix.

We're considering switching to Comcast business class. Not cheap, but should at least get what we paid for.
  21. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Same here