Who knew?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Never could get flats to sound good to my ear. Had cause to string my old P up with Chromes the other day. Played through my SVT/fridge and dayum. Sounds great. I don't know how it will be in a band context and I have serious reservations as to it being cool with my main band, but I think I'll keep them on the P for a bit.

Always sounded crappy to me through SS, but that SVT did something to it.
  2. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I love Chromes; played them exclusively for a few years. The only downside was that they had a little too much drag on my fingers. I solved the problem with a small bag of talc, the kind pool players use. Messy, but worked.
  3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Nice! Currently i have dr legend flats on my p... thinking of switching back to rounds but will probably leave the flats on for a while.
  4. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Give the flats a try with the band!

I switched from rounds to Chromes on my 4003 because flats are more appropriate for my current band. After making the switch, I did a reunion gig with a punk band I used to play with. I found that the flats really helped the bass stand out in the mix by not competing, sonically, with the two loud distorted guitars. Wish I had discovered flats years earlier.

Try it out at a rehearsal. Maybe it'll work well for you. Hell, pretty much anything should sound great with an SVT, right?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jetbike

jetbike

I have a P with new Chromes and a Jack Casady with 2 year old chromes, plugged into a 200w valve head and an Ampeg 410. I reckon new chromes aren't dissimilar to rounds anyway. I use the P for rocking tunes where I need to clank and cut through, the Jack is brought out to thump and sounds great with a pick.

I play in a band with three guitars! Works for me.