Who made these strings; can I buy some new ones?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dustoyevsky@mac, Mar 9, 2014.

1. dustoyevsky@mac

dustoyevsky@mac

I have some old (ca. 1980) strings that appear to be flatwounds. They were sold to me as "Generic"; the shop (old Ax In Hand, Normal IL, later "Guitar World", IMS) couldn't or wouldn't tell me who the actual mfg was. Photo of packaging: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31368187@N03/13038524023/

Ideal (for me), if not the longest-lasting string I ever used.
    Almost out (one last nicely aged new set left!)

Any info available? Thanks!

2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I believe those are made by Fender..I know La Habra Music sold those at some point..

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Hey! I used to manage GW/Ax-In-Hand and sold those strings!! Are sure they're flats and not modified rounds? My recollection of that packaging was that they were D'Addario half-rounds, the original nickel formulation. We also had some in a different pack that were GHS Precision flats from CLF Research. Got those from our G&L rep because Leo decided to use GHS Boomers on the all new basses and had a bunch of the flats (used on the original StingRays) left over.

4. dustoyevsky@mac

dustoyevsky@mac

Issat you, John? I looked by unwinding one, hard to tell if these are "ground" half-flats or not. I've tried D'Addario half rounds, these old ones are different. I've tried or at least looked at most everything I can find, from Roto 77's, the ENR71's, Ernie Ball Group I's, which look very close but are far stiffer, not the same string at all, Fender 9050's, D'add. Chromes, GHS Brite Flats in two gauges, GHS Precision Flats. The Brite Flats and Precision Flats are still new in the packages because the don't look "correct". Maybe I should try those as well, "it's only money".
    Should have bought 20 sets, not just ten <g>. Favorite string ever, nice "weight", not stiff or too loose (although I kept the Thomastik flats on one bass), and a fine sound, with a nice boom, with some top but no klank. Time moves on, I guess.
    --Tom P. Still have that L1000 with the third neck on it, how 'bout that?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

TOM!! Great to hear from you! We got those strings from Harris-Teller. Our sales rep said he couldn't tell us who made them but if we guessed an Italian-sounding name with offices in Farmingdale, we would be not incoorect...

I know they've changed the way they make the several times, and those strings you got had a smoother outer finish than the last two sets I tried (20?)years ago.

That L-1000 was special, I'm glad you still have it! You in TX still?
    John

7. dustoyevsky@mac

dustoyevsky@mac

Austin. I knew there was some kinda "state secret" about those strings, all very hush-hush. How about an email address, can I do that here?
    Does tomapaterson@m--a--c.c--o--m work?