1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who made this vintage Japanese SG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikk, Jan 27, 2013.

1. mikk

mikk

Hello everyone!

I'm looking into buying my first bass. I have a great Japanese Les Paul guitar clone made by Burny, so I thought that getting a vintage Japanese bass from 60s/70s would be a good idea. Now, I've found this one. Any idea who made it and if it's any good? I'd appreciate any pointers and suggestions.

More images: http://imgur.com/a/YYoPd

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

I have no idea who made the bass, but the bridge and black knob are not original.
  3. ibateur

ibateur

Maybe you can use acetone to take off that black stripe to see who built it. Probably a Matsumoko relative.
  4. tmdazed

tmdazed

looks like there's lettering on the truss rod cover , nice looking unit
  5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I'd bet on the Matsumoku manufacturer origin, too.

As for what BRAND it is, could be anything: Kingston, National, Conrad, Teisco, etc.
  6. mikk

mikk

Thanks! The truss rod cover says "reinforced neck", and the black stripe ibateur mentioned is actually a shadow.

After some googling I'm afraid it might be an Amena* or something similar; basically a low quality entry level guitar. The cutouts on the body (especially the one under the neck), combined with the simple switches look rather cheapish to me.

Don't you think?

*) http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_a1.htm
  7. Musky

Musky

No idea what it is, but it is definitely 100% not a Matsumoku made bass.