1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who makes long scale basses? Drop Ab/G# tuning.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt6g, Sep 30, 2013.

1. matt6g

matt6g

Hello there.
    I've been looking to get a new 5 string, but I'm not sure where to look.
    I play in Drop Ab tuning (Ab Eb Ab Db Gb) and I need a bass that can handle such tuning...you know, for that metal stuff.
    I am currently playing a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 (35 in) and it's just flop city, even with a .145 on the B string.
    I know what most of you might be thinking - 'Hey man, just put thicker strings on the Schecter!'
    No thanks, I'd rather have greater tension without having to play on big ass steel cables. But anyway...
    The highest price I would pay for a new one is $1500.
    I've been looking at Dingwall Combustions but I'm not sure how I feel about them.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get an extended scale bass, preferably 37 inches, for a price no higher than $1500? (Other than Dingwall, of course)

Thank you in advance!
    Rock on \m/
  2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

How many other 35" scale basses have you tried with this tuning? My 34" scale Ibanez wears a .136 low B that I routinely drop to A with no floppiness. The problem may lie in your particular bass.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Custom strings?
  4. mi_weesp

mi_weesp

I use stas pokotylo custom 36.5-24 bass with low G#. Awesome.
  5. Sartori

Sartori

Have you had it professionally set up?

I use a 34" scale bass for BEAD tuning with a .130 low B, and it's fine.
  6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Johnny April (w/ Staind) I think tunes to G# and uses import Spector Legend 5 strings and having heard plenty of live recordings of that, those sound fine. I think a 35" Spector Euro would be great for that. I tune my NS5 to GCGCF and it's only 34" scale and works for me.