1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who makes long scale basses? Drop Ab/G# tuning.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt6g, Sep 30, 2013.

1. matt6g

matt6g

Hello there.
    I've been looking to get a new 5 string, but I'm not sure where to look.
    I play in Drop Ab tuning (Ab Eb Ab Db Gb) and I need a bass that can handle such tuning...you know, for that metal stuff.
    I am currently playing a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 (35 in) and it's just flop city, even with a .145 on the B string.
    I know what most of you might be thinking - 'Hey man, just put thicker strings on the Schecter!'
    No thanks, I'd rather have greater tension without having to play on big ass steel cables. But anyway...
    The highest price I would pay for a new one is $1500.
    I've been looking at Dingwall Combustions but I'm not sure how I feel about them.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get an extended scale bass, preferably 37 inches, for a price no higher than $1500? (Other than Dingwall, of course)

Thank you in advance!
    Rock on \m/

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

How many other 35" scale basses have you tried with this tuning? My 34" scale Ibanez wears a .136 low B that I routinely drop to A with no floppiness. The problem may lie in your particular bass.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Custom strings?

4. mi_weesp

mi_weesp

I use stas pokotylo custom 36.5-24 bass with low G#. Awesome.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sartori

Sartori

Have you had it professionally set up?

I use a 34" scale bass for BEAD tuning with a .130 low B, and it's fine.

7. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Johnny April (w/ Staind) I think tunes to G# and uses import Spector Legend 5 strings and having heard plenty of live recordings of that, those sound fine. I think a 35" Spector Euro would be great for that. I tune my NS5 to GCGCF and it's only 34" scale and works for me.