1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who makes the most stable neck in the business?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocktometrist, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist Supporting Member

Aside from the graphite necks from Zon, Moses, Modulus (RIP), etc., what company makes the most stable necks out there?

I'm a huge fan of the neck on the Fender Roscoe Beck V. It has graphite stiffening rods, although I'm not sure if that is what makes the thing such a tank.

...so I'm curious--what companies out there make the most bulletproof necks? Which ones use graphite rods? I've found neck construction details pretty hard to come by on manufacturer websites, so I figured I'd turn to talkbass. Thanks!

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

I think the Warmoth ones with the steel bars are pretty bulletproof. But too heavy for some.

3. odin70

odin70

Are the steel bars more stable than graphite?

4. Art Araya

Art Araya

oh dude... read your thread title and was ready to jump in with MODULUS. But then you said you're not interested in the graphite necks.

I've not found a wooden neck that comes close to my Modulus in terms of set it and forget it. I've tried all kinds of Fenders, Carvin LB75 (the worst neck stability), Peavey, Dean, Gibson, Cort, Birdsong, and several customer basses and all of them needed their necks adjusted at least 2-3 times per year.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. odineye

odineye Gold Supporting Member

I can't speak with much experience for any that you've listed, but I can add this. It's been more than two years since I did a setup on my Warmoth (my main player ) and it hasn't budged. Of course, it being purpleheart with an ebony fretboard might be helping out with the stability, but that kind of consistency has me sold.

7. SteveC

SteveC

I haven't really had to touch any of my necks after initial set up. MIM Jazz to Custom Roscoe.

8. Wagz

Wagz

Ovation Magnum - mahogany neck with 3 graphite bars, an ebony fretboard and beefy tuners. They also came from the factory with ferrules and bolts attaching the neck and body. It's a bass and a blunt weapon! :bassist:

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Do you use a forklift when you have to move it? Those are dense woods!

10. lexefx

lexefx Supporting Member

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Obviously wooden necks will always depend somewhat on the wood itself. I was always wary of 1 piece necks but I had a MIA Fender P whose neck seemingly never moved. On the other hand I had a MIM Deluxe V Jazz that required way too many adjustments.

Personally I think Chris Stambaugh makes the most consistently stiff and stable necks that I've run across.

As for mass produced instruments my personal experience is that German Warwick and EBMM necks are plenty stable.

funkyjudge likes this.
  12. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

The neck on my 1990 Yamaha Attitude Limited is a technological marvel. Thick chunky maple, 4 bolts and an aircraft aluminum plate to hold the lower two bolts to the body. It needs to take the abuse Billy Sheehan can dish out. It's an incredibly stable sustain monster.

13. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

Lemme put on my flame-retardant suit here real quick. OK. The neck on my '09 Fender American Standard P5 has barely moved in the four years I've owned it. It developed a hair of relief a couple of summers ago, but right now it's dead straight, just as it was when I bought it new. I've changed strings once.
    It was 7 degrees here today and will be back up to 60 by Saturday, so we'll see how it does with that.
    By no means I am suggesting Fender makes the most stable neck in the biz, but this is the most stable neck on a bass I've ever owned.

14. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I only have great things to say about the necks on my EBMMs. I've owned three Bongos total (5s and 6s), four Sterlings (H, HH, HS), and one Stingray (Classic, H). Once I set them how I liked, I never had to adjust them. The Bongo I have now (6 HS) hasn't had an adjustment in 3 years and probably 15 sets of strings, and my Sterling HH 5 hasn't had an adjustment in 2.5 years and 5 ish sets of strings. All the others have been sold, so I can't speak to them any more. I expect my incoming fretless Bongo to be the same.

15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The neck on my gamma beta from Joe Milstein never budged once. From super low tension nickel rounds to labella jamerson flats, the neck never needed an adjustment.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Fenders and Squiers go on the bottom of the list! So bad I traded away a really nice US Fender Jazz. I now have a semi custom FrankenJazz with a Squier VM neck and that sonofagun moves at least once a week. I think it's a bad neck though. It only reliefs (by itself) on the E string side. G string side is straight. Twisted? Dunno but I'm sick of it. Looking for a new neck now.

My Laklands have had the most stable necks. My 5 string (has graphite bars) I think I had the neck tweaked once in the 5 or so years I've owned it. Just got a 4 string and so far, it's been stable. Neck on both are damn near straight (I like them that way).

17. odineye

Ha! Yeah, then bolt that to an ash jazz style body and it totals just a hair under 11 lbs. But for the tone and sustain? It's well worth the workout. :D

18. odineye

Well, I'm not going to turn to Fender bashing here. Especially since I've got more than a few friends who have some great playing and stable Fenders. But... I have this damned Deluxe Jazz here that's been giving me nothing but fits for more than three weeks now. I'll think I have it dialed in, come back a couple days later and it's out again. I'm thinking one more week of this, and a new neck goes on and that one ends up next to the door as theft deterrent.

19. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Yeah with fenders one piece maple necks it seems like one either gets a neck that almost never needs adjustment for years and years or the one where one gets it right where they want it and go to the bathroom and comeback and it needs another adjustment....

20. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

My Spector Euros are rock solid!!!

21. SteveC

SteveC

I also had a Yamaha BB605 for years and never touched it. Aside from my Roscoe's probably the best neck I've owned.