who only plays for themselves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danharris, Dec 8, 2012.

1. danharris

danharris

i have no band, no gigs. im 34. i started piano lessons at 5, played till i was 15. at 11 i joined the school band as a drummer. played with them till grade 12. my sister gave me an old guitar when i was 12, then a bass when i was about 16. all these years ive been mainly playing guitar (20+ years). in the early 2000s started using my computer to record and mix all sorts of sounds. in 2008 i bought a nice yamaha piano and started banging around that a little. then in 2009 i bought a bass and have been focusing on that for the last few years.

as a teenager i was in a punk/death metal band and jammed with to local kids. jammed with some other guys in my early 20s. i do know a guy down the road that i grew up with. hes a country singer, has a couple singles on i tunes, uses session musicians. he really has no interest in jamming with me. not to mention that hes been trying to be famous since we were kids, its kinda flaky if you ask me.

so here i am, all alone. never made a dime playing music. but play every day. these days its a bass. but ive gone through my phases. any other bedroom heros out there. all the posts i read are either "i was playing a gig last night" or "i want to play retro-emo-reggae , what kind of bass should i buy"

i just gave my 8year old an old guitar, maybe he will play with me one day..... my 1 yr old likes to slap the bass an bang pots and pans together too. a jazz trio possibly? my wife has an old sax in the closet from her school band, hmmm. for now its me and a looper.

who can relate?

ps: im not proofreading this for continuity or structure. deal with it. just wanted to get it out there.
  2. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Picked up the bass when I played in a band as a teen. Played off and on with friends through my 20s. Sold my gear. Picked up gear again when my kids were pre-teens, so they'd be exposed to guitar and bass (they were taking piano lessons). Played mostly acoustic guitar on the couch for relaxation. Then got more serious about bass as my youngest son started a few bands (he's urned into a solid musician: bass, guitar, drums). I had crappy stuff, mostly, as a kid, so I like being able to provide him with quality gear). I've gigged out and jammed with friends and co-workers. But mostly enjoy it as a hobby, collecting way too much gear and sharing it with my son and his friends. I'd like to get a steady jam thing going, and might get more motivated soon. Or not.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Oops!

Sorry, I misread the title. I thought it said "who only plays WITH themselves..."
  4. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I play for therapy, both mental and psychical.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Big Brother

Big Brother

That is what I thought too, I imagine there is already a club for that here.
  7. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

I started playing bass again a few months ago after being away from it for many years so all of my playing at this point is just for me. Amazed at how fast it's coming back.

Eventually I imagine I'll start playing out again because I do so on other instruments
  8. Righteous Thunderer

Righteous Thunderer

I jammed with friends from 18 until a few years ago (28 now), did a couple of shows using the gear the Chaplain brought with the unit to Iraq, and only play by myself now. I've never been an actively gigging musician.
  9. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

You have my sincere respect. Never say die.
  10. corndog

corndog Supporting Member

Another lone wolf here. I used to play guitar with my buds years ago, but recently took up bass. I play about 5-6 hrs a week, can't get enough of it. Some days i can get some playing time in before i head to work. Its agreat way to start my day.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Anyone want to start a Lone Wolf club? I'll keep track of the numbers
  12. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm down with a Lone Wolf club. No band, no gigs. Not even very good, despite the time I play. I consider myself more of a bass enthusiast than a musician. I just really like basses and I really like having them around.
  13. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

You don't know what you're missing. It's so fun to Jam with other musicians even if it's cover tunes.
  14. Mike M.

Mike M.

My only gig is once every three weeks at church. If I didn't do that I dare say that I would just be an at home player. I did the band thing back in the 70's and 80's and while it was fun back then it's something that I really don't want to do anymore. I've been told I'm more than good enough to gig, but my heart just isn't into getting out there again.

Love playing, though. Always will.
  15. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Jokes aside, I've played only for myself for the last 3 years or so. I would like to be in a band but the bands that I see either don't look interesting (smooth jazz, older R&B) or I don't think I'd really fit in (blues, gospel). As long as I'm around hear I don't see me being in a band unless I put something together myself, which could be fun.

Til then, I'm happy just jammin on my own. My room is my stage :).
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just love the bass and playing along to my favorite songs is so cool its like listening to music in a different way. I say we start the club
  17. SirMjac28

Lone Wolf Club

For the promotion of fun and relaxing nonprofessional bass playing.

1# Danharris
    2# Atomicdog
    3# Casting Thunder
    4# Righteous Thunderer
    5# Mjac28
    6# Ffutterman
    7# Mike M
    8# Kwesi

We could move this to a separate thread? and if I missed anyone let me know.
  18. danharris

danharris

#1, im honored.
  19. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    I finally threw up my hands at the thought of joining a gigging band and now it's all about becoming a better musician until my kids move out or hate me enough that they don't occupy my time so much. Now I record when I get the chance, I play guitar poorly, plan on picking up the keys, and most importantly learning to really read the damn music. It's not as 'fun' as a good jam, but it doesn't come with near the headaches and it is pretty rewarding when I make a breakthrough in any of my pursuits.

Hell, by the time my kids have started joining their own bands, I might be pretty good at this music thing (but probably not).
  20. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

*raises hand*
  21. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

Wolves are pack animals. Do your research. If you want an animal totem that is truly the loner type, I suggest the slug. They play with themselves if they need to... asexual they are... worms too. Actually, there is a type of weevil for which a male has never been found. But that is a totem for a chick club.

Lone slug
    Lone worm
    Lone weevil

These are more realistic names... <snicker>