1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who owns the rights?..

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Abluesbassist, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Abluesbassist

Abluesbassist

Hi Janek,
    Several years I recorded with a band and ended up with a distribution deal with a small local record label. As far as I know the rights were never purchased and I never signed a contract. The other day I went to set up a soundcloud account to use as a demo and some of the tracks from the cd I am playing on were rejected because soundcloud said that there were copy rights on the songs. If I played on a track can I still use it for promotional uses with out getting in to trouble or am I basically screwed out of it ?.

Thanks
    Dan
  2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    it all depends on whether the songs were written or co-written by you, or if you were a sideman on the session.

A distribution deal, unless the band leader was totally inexperienced, normally means a band retains publishing rights. So if you were a writer or official band member you should be okay. I would contact everyone involved and see where you stand.