1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Who played bass on Kenny Loggins' "Footloose"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wheat Williams, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Wheat Williams

Wheat Williams

I hope this is an acceptable question here and is not off-topic. Please tell me if I should take this question elsewhere.

I just watched a cover band play this song (reasonably well) and it occurred to me what a challenging bass chart it presents over a pretty simple chord progression. I can't find any resource naming the musicians who played on that session. Anybody know?
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Hi

Nathan East, I believe

Rob
  3. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

George Hawkins Jr. was Kenny's bassist and musical director for most of the late-70's to early 80's. Don't know if he was still around by the Footloose album. But you can hear George on the Kenny Loggins Alive DVD. Great underrated player.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
  5. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

The answer seems like it is -always- Nathan. Wonderful wonderful player.
  6. jaywa

jaywa

It's a great bass line and 90% of the cover band bassists I've seen don't even come close to nailing it.

The interesting thing about the recorded version is the bass line is doubled an octave higher. Not sure if it's an effect or an electric guitar but it's definitely there.
  7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Terrific playing, but I always hated that sound he was getting. It's like it was EQd to sound exactly like a racquetball. There's a bump in some mid frequency there that gets right under my skin.
  8. Bassin'

Bassin'

Yeah, I agree.
  9. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

I believe that list is album credits, not song credits. He is listed among many other bassplayers on the soundtrack listing, so Footloose is in his listing.
  10. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I remember Nathan writing about the line in a column in Guitar Player in the 80s, so he claims it.
  11. tonybassman

tonybassman

I was driving home from Thanksgiving with the family today when this came on and I noticed how busy the bass line was. After all these years.

This is good, not sure how accurate:
  12. MichalBros

MichalBros

Do you remember what was he writing about Footloose bassline in this magazine??
  13. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    He was taking some of the basslines he recorded, writing them out and explaining why he played what he did. It was a monthly column in Guitar Player.
  14. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

That's funny, I was listening to that song at a gig I was playing the other night and it suddenly occurred to me how good the bass playing is on it. I was wondering who the bassist was and now it seems I have the answer!
  15. JimK

JimK

I do, too...I think I still have this issue.

East was specifically talking about the tune, "Footllose" (w/ a bit of it transcribed).
    Other columns had "Easy Lover" & "Forever Man".
  16. JimK

JimK

Hawkins is a great & underrated player...what kills me-
    He can be playing a funky figure while singing harmony. Keep The Fire is a nice album/example of his tasteful playing.
  17. millsbass5

millsbass5

18. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    That link only shows in 1984, kenny rogers, not kenny loggins.........That'd be 1985
  19. obimark

obimark

Tonybassman your version is definetely way closer, teacher guy has left out a majority of the cool things about the line, like the double stops.
    Anybody have a good Transcription or Tab of this gem?
    Note- I'm alright by KL is also another great bassline, is that Nathan East as well.
  20. JimK

JimK

"I'm Alright" is George Hawkins, IIRC.