1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who played the bass for Sir Elvis Presley??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zack01, Aug 24, 2002.

1. zack01

zack01

On many tracks by Elvis he have a really good bass player anyone knows anything about this??

The only thing i know that the king himself liked bassplaying......

2. relman

relman Guest

Bill Black, i believe, played bass for Elvis.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Jerry sheff recorded and toured for a while with Elvis.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

black early elvis scheff tcb elvis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Didn't Duck Dunn do some work with Elvis, also?

7. parrott

parrott

Since when was Elvis "Sir"?

8. zack01

zack01

i respect Elvis very much and then i call him for Sir!!!!

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Yes. Jerry Scheff is also the bassist on many Doors recordings (yes, they had real bass on many tracks) and is also the Father of Jason Scheff, Bassist and Vocalist for "Chicago" since Pete Cetera left.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bob Moore was one of Elvis's earliest Bassist.

11. Andrew Noury

Andrew Noury

Originally posted by JAUQO III-X

Bob Moore was one of Elvis's earliest Bassist.

Was he related to Elvis' original guitarist Scotty Moore?

12. PhatBasstard

Not sure. Elvis first bassist (w/ Scotty Moore) was Bill Black.

13. cassanova

cassanova

was jerry the cat who laid down the bass work on all the live stuff he did in the early to mid 70's?

i especially like the lines on

cc rider
    burning love
    t-r-o-u-b-l-e
    polk sald annie

to name a few and dont know if it was jerry or someone else that did them.

i totally agree that elvis's bassists are worth lookin into.

14. PhatBasstard

Jerry is also currently touring with "Elvis, the Concert".

15. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

ive no idea but the man rocks, have any of you ever seen the haiwian thing?? i saw it by accident on a sunday afternoon and thought it was the bees knees

16. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

Bill Black was on the Sun recordings, and the early RCA records, such as Jailhouse Rock, on which he played bass guitar for the first time. That was apparently the first No.1 to feature bass guitar (according to Jim Roberts). A series of session players followed, right through to the TCB band, which used Jerry Scheff and my personal favourite, Emory Gordy Jnr. Pretty much the entire TCB band (with Gordy) ended up as The Hot Band backing up EmmyLou Harris.

17. ElvisAndDeese

ElvisAndDeese

Leroy Deese has the distinction of being Elvis's first guitarist in the early 50's and then began to play bass for Elvis Presley. They were friends in highschool. They began to play small shows in churchs and clubs years before Elvis became famous. Leroy Deese is alive today and can be seen playing Bass at "The Square" in Mountain View Arkansas. His now permanent residence. He told me a story once about their first show in a club and how the music was so "rowdy" the people in the club walked out on them in anger because the music was far too "hard rock." Hes shown me pictures of him playing guitar in the back of his pick up truck, in a newspaper I believe carved by the school. I woukd head to mountain view and shake this man's hand before its too late. i love my grandfather very much. - Jordan Deese

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

19. johny martin

johny martin

AHH you beat me to it lol

20. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

He beat you by almost 10 years.

21. SoCal1

SoCal1

Bill Black was Elvis' first bassist on upright. Black was influenced by "Hillbilly" bassist Fred Maddox. Black was known for jumping around on stage and generally clowning while performing. This contrasted to Elvis somewhat stiff performing style in the early days. Elvis' manager Col. Tom Parker eventually told Black to quit the clowning because ELVIS was the star. This didn't sit well with Black who ultimately left Elvis to form the Bill Black Combo. True, Black was one of the very first players to use a Fender bass on a major hit, Jailhouse Rock, although Blacks style on electric didn't vary much from his basic upright style. Bob Moore then took over most of the recording for Elvis. Moore (not related to Scotty) was a much more accomplished musician than Black, and played a much more sophisticated style, becoming perhaps the most recorded musician in history with a claimed 20,000 sessions (not songs) performed on. Moore was a member of the Nashville "A Team" studio ensemble which also included Floyd Cramer on piano, guitarist Grady Martin, and Boots Randolph on sax. Scheff and a couple of others backed Elvis on electric during Elvis later years.