1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who plays Newer Country?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike M., Oct 16, 2013.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

I must admit that I was never much of a country music fan, but lately I've been hearing some of the newer offerings and find that I really like what I'm hearing. Been checking out various countdowns on You Tube and I think it's pretty good stuff. Man, there's some great bass happening in these songs! I hear lots of 5 string action as well!

So, are you in a band that plays the newer country? Do you play out often? Can you give me a few examples of what songs your band does? I'm going to further check into these songs.

Thanks.

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

What you are hearing is Nashville pop music. It's called country because the collective cranking it out come from traditional country, but it's not really country beyond the endless proclamation in it's lyrics that everything the singer owns or treasures is in fact "country".
    For the most part it's mid tempo chugging rehashes of what was known as southern rock when I was a kid. I was listening to all that stuff back then but because it was played by a bunch of long haired he-pies, the collective who have co-opted it today were doing their best to ignore it back then when country was preformed by actual coal miner's daughters, cowboys and hillbillies, not kids from well to do northeastern families who could afford all the voice lessons, stylists, and lifestyle coaches to cultivate what is now considered the "country vibe".
    Please understand, I'm in no way trying to put down this hybrid of pop, southern rock, and traditional country, it is hugely popular and makes musicians money so as a player it is a good thing. it's not exactly my cuppajoe but neither is a lot of music I enjoy listening to because it's done with gusto and at least an attempt to inject some originality into it.

Oddly enough, traditional country is still very much alive, but the script has been flipped 180 degrees. The hardcore country troubadours today are now the long haired, bearded he-pie societal fringe dwellers who came from the east texas roadhouse tradition and the so-cal cowpunk scene that grew up around Buck Owens and drew Dwight Yoakam west when He refused to let Billy Sherrill put horns and a string section on Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc.

You can find a wealth of really high quality, hardcore country in the traditional style, but like Grinderswitch and Barefoot Jerry back in the day, you have to hunt for it because the mainstream does it's best to ignore those who proudly carry on the true country music tradition.

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

My band is all about the modern current country. Sure we do some classic country and some pop/variety but mostly the new country. We had a really busy summer. Here's a newer Zac Brown song we did at Knott's Berry Farm (theme park in Orange Country, California):

(This is not our video, it was posted by a fan.)

All lot of the "new" country is like '80s rock with a banjo, fiddle, steel, etc. It's not just root-5th any more. :bassist:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

I play newer country with several acts. Most of them cover bands, but also these guys: www.thefarmmusic.com. Can't really argue with anything said above, but the debate about whether or not a song is country enough to be country has been going on for at least 60 years.

If you like the 5-sting stuff you should look into Jason Aldean, Big and Rich, some Dierks Bentley, late Brooks and Dunn, and early Luke Bryant. If you typed those names into youtube, and followed the suggested links on the side, you would probably get a good start.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Yes, I know what you mean. Because my current project has slowed down a bit, it has freed me to get involved with a "real" country band. We'll be specializing in the "Bakersfield sound" doing cool old stuff with three part guitar/steel/fiddle harmonies and such. I had my first rehearsal last week and it was a blast! We've got our first showcase toward the end of next month.

BassCliff

7. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I play quite a bit with this girl........
    www.emilyminor.net
    She doesn't have a full-time band so I'm not a member of her band. But I kind of dig her songs. I am in the video though.

But I play with a lot of acts that do modern country stuff. Jason Aldean is about as hot as any act right now. Eric Church is big. Zack Brown Band. Lady Anttebellum.

8. jefkritz

jefkritz

i've loved old country for a while, and, similar to the OP, have recently started appreciating new pop country. it's like most modern pop: often stupid and/or formulaic, but often incredibly fun and catchy.

but i also love the diy country folks. hasil adkins is my boy! (

can't be much newer than just written!

9. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

I play in two country bands. One band plays "traditional country" at gigs for cash. The other, however, plays mostly new country (as well as a little traditional country and classic rock). The second band does not play gigs for cash. We are a group who have all, in the past, gigged for money but now simply jam for the enjoyment and challenge of it.

Playing bass in the traditional country band takes a certain mindset because of the simplicity of it. The bass in newer country is far more interesting and challenging which makes it more rewarding for me.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Thanks gang. I appreciate the pro's and con's of all that was said. All I know is that whatever you want to call this music, I like a lot of what I'm hearing. Been looking for something that's a bit differant from what I've been playing and for some reason this music grabbed my attention. When something like this happens I'm not the type to question why it did, I just go for it. Makes it more fun.

I'm going to check out the links provided. Thanks for your time!

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I'm green with envy! J/K :D
    These days most of what I do is blues and rock based but my true love is hardcore, no apologies, traditional country. When I get a chance to back a steel AND a fiddle, I'm in heaven.
    My last music job before this current situation was near perfect. Lots of twang and singing through the nose, and done well with a lot of pride in the tradition we were paying homage to.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Wow! She's really good. Is she the songwriter too? Cool song. Thanks for sharing.

BassCliff

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

New Country is what they play on the radio in my rural area in No. Calif. Feels like country with a rock beat. I agree it's pretty formulaic. What I can't stand about NC is the hypercompression applied to most basslines. Makes the bass sound like rubber. Yuch! I'm much happier playing Outlaw Country, or Trad. Country. Call me old fashioned.

14. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

My band has always had a few Country songs in our set list. Lately we have been adding a few more. We recently put Wagon Wheel,Drink In My Hand,Country Girl Shake it for me,and She's Country in the rotation. All have gone over very well much to the surprise of my Rock hardened band mates!