1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who snagged the 59 on eBay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geddy402, Feb 18, 2014.

1. geddy402

geddy402

2. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

I don't know, but a good deal. Best quote in the auction: "I just bought it from the original owner's family 2 hours ago." Probably got it for $250. Come on man, at least ACT like you weren't trying to take advantage of an unsuspecting family...

3. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    I can tell you a TB member got it (no it wasn't me)!

4. harleyman888

harleyman888

damn someone stepped in S*it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. geddy402

geddy402

Yeah I saw it and contemplated getting it since I've been in the market...but for some reason didn't pull the trigger. It just seemed too good to be true. I'm interested to see who ended up with it and how it plays, sounds, etc. it's got to be good.

7. geddy402

geddy402

And if it was a dealer I'll be a little sad. But probably not as sad as I should be for that family.

8. JH Statts

JH Statts

If the family was ripped off, that's all kinds of wrong. Nice bass.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There's no indication that happened, so it's improper to assume it did. Everyone and their grandmother has a computer or knows someone who has a computer. Getting retail value on something like this is the easiest thing on earth.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Wow... Buy It Now for $7,700 was a great deal.

11. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

I owned a '59 body once that had been sunburst, stripped, and badly refinished. It may have been the best sounding piece of wood I've ever owned. Wish I still had it.

12. JH Statts

JH Statts

I didn't assume. Another poster did. I was merely saying "if." And yes, it is easy to find prices. I agree there.

13. geddy402

geddy402

Always a little sad when you hear that a bass comes out from under a bed because someone passes away, but that bass will make a lot of people really happy. From the eBay seller, to the person who bought it, or is going to flip it themselves!, and to whomever gets it down the line.

I think I'm going to be kicking myself for while for not buying that...

14. jlepre

jlepre

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think an old bass is worth over $7,000.

15. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

If it feels and plays well, I’d rather have that than a coffee-table custom for that price… not to mention at least it should hold its value.

And keep in mind that for some people, that’s not really a lot of money. People pay way more for a motorcycle (I have, four times) or other hobby item.

With that said, personally wouldn’t pay anywhere near that for a bass, even if I had the income I used to have, haha.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nope. I'll join you. I have a 1963 P with a '72 neck (been mine since 1967) and I guarantee that sound or performance-wise, it's not worth what it would bring in the market. Oh, it's a nice bass, light and great-sounding, but not better than other new basses I've had. I definitely wouldn't spend the money it would take to replace it...IMO simply not a good value for the cost.

People who have the money to spend on something because it's old and collectible are fortunate in that ability, and they are welcome to pursue their wishes with my compliments and best wishes. I simply won't be joining them.

17. geddy402

geddy402

I think part of it is owning history and carrying on playing a bass that has been laying down grooves for 50+ years. At least for me its more than just sound, its the legacy associated with the instrument.

Just my two cents...

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

It's worth over $7k. There are thousands upon thousands of people paying that kind of money for old basses. In fact, in the world of vintage guitars, $7k is chump change.

19. geddy402

geddy402

True. Compare a 59 p bass to a 59 Les Paul. Mama....

20. DogBone

DogBone

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

No sir you are not alone and people assume every vintage bass has some kind of magic and they will swear it sounds better than anything made today my question with all vintage gear is "if it was so great why didn't they keep making them the same way?"