Who uses Amp Stands??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dagovna659, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dagovna659

dagovna659

Hi All, I just recently received an Amp stand for Xmas. Problem
    is, I've never used them so I am a little reluctant to use it (my
    daughter was so happy when she gave it to me). I always had my rigs on the floor (2-4.5xl or 2-4x8's). Lately i've been using my mini rig (GKMB200+GKMBE115) or a 4x8+115(1001rb). Always thought my cabs needed to be on the floor. I'm presently trying to use the amp stand now but seems like its missing ooomph. Am I missing something raising my cabs off of the floor? Please advise.

2. pedro

pedro

I don't use a stand but I do place my amp on a piece that I bought a couple of years ago designed to reduce 'boominess' issues. I can't for the life of me recall the name of it.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have to raise them a good two and a half feet to lose any floor coupling. But what you gain with an amp stand is the ability to hear highs and mids that blow past your ears when you leave it flat on the floor. Your daughter had a good idea.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just stay below 3 feet or so. Any higher and you are loosing some floor coupling. The loss you are describing may be some mechanical coupling, but out in the crowd that wont be missed.

For me personally if I am not using a big cab, I do use a stand for a small cab. That stand happens to be a matching smaller cab, both of them running. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wideload

wideload

The sound out front will not be noticeably different, but you will hear more clearly on stage, because your ears hear better than you knees. And a stand is nicer than a couple of milk crates to look at!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's for sure! No milk crates! EVER!

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

+1.

I have been intending to build a stand for my cab for far too long... at this point my measurements have dust on them.

I was going to ask about how high to build them, now I know. 2 feet.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I use an amp stand for my small synth monitor rig. 2x10 cab with amp on top. As advised, as long as it's not more than a few feet from the floor, you lose nothing, but gain much.

10. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

Funny, I also got an amp stand from offspring for Christmas! I had requested one for my Fender M-80 Bass amp. It certainly does what I intended it to do. I also have a Fender 15" cab (BXR115, IIRC - not at home now) that I use under the combo for larger events, so thought I'd try putting the combo on the stand on top of the cab! Yes, I can hear myself pretty darn well!

Has anyone else tried this? Are there any perceived drawbacks, such as a lack of coupling? IMWTK! TIA

11. countrybass007

countrybass007

It's my understanding that the new amp stands are built to keep contact with the floor, so as not to lose any bass response.

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I gigged for a couple of years with an Ampeg B100R on a tilt-back stand. I could aim it so the drummer could hear it, and I used DI into the board (we had subs in our PA). No problems ever.

13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I do. Every time I want to clear up the stage sound.

Very wise daughter You have raised.

As the others have said, that's just because You'll hear the mids and highs better, not because the low end suffers.

If You have a very long cord 15m (~45ft) or so, have a bandmate lift the speaker to different heights aimed directly towards Your head while you stand facing the other way. If the distance to the speaker is more than 10 meters, there's a good chance that You won't be able to tell the height the cab is at. On the stage it'll be different because the distances are shorter.

IME/IMHO You're missing nothing. Just gaining.
    You'll hear what the audience hears.
    It'll also clear the stage sound considerably.

Here's a clip from a gig where I used a standard speaker/amp stand with a SWR WM10.

Regards
    Sam

14. joe vegas

joe vegas

I play with a lot of decent guiatrists who have their mighty rigs set up on the floor, just blistering the paint off the walls, oblivious to their actual volume.. when i gave one of them my tilt-back stand to try out, he was shocked at how loud he had been previously.

my rigs sound fine on the stand- plenty of lows, solid punch and articulation.. this way, my amp serves as my bass monitor, and i can hear what everybody else is hearing.

15. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I use an Atlas Stand with my Vox AC30.
    Some have complained that these are too heavy and bulky but I like them.
    Never tried it with a bass amp but maybe I should!

http://www.atlas-stands.com/

16. Not yet

Not yet

Bought a stand, just did not like the sound, science be what it may. Got an ampwedge and much happier.

17. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Do we need a 'players who use amp stands club?' Here's a chance for Someone to get a #1 in his sig line. :)

18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I tried using one with a Hartke 210XL and my MB200. May be in my head, but it seemed like the cab lost a lot of low end. I tended to turn it up until it started farting out. It sounded much better to me if I put it on the floor vertically.

I haven't tried to use the stand with one of my Genz Benz Focus 115s yet - need to see how it sounds. For now I have just been using a block of 2x4 to angle the cab up slightly.

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I use a tilt back stand so I can hear myself clearly. It also helps on some less than solid stages that make the cab sound boomy.

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mids and highs are directional. If your cab isn't on a stand you miss out on them and sound relatively low endy to yourself when you are standing near your rig. Away from the rig the full sound comes together. I use a stand, non-JimmyM approved.

21. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I typically use a 2x4 or block of foam to tilt the cabient toward my big fat head.
    I tried an amp stand once but felt like I lost a lot of lows; it might have been more than 2' off the floor. I'll have to try it again.
    The downside is lifting a heavy cab and heavy head that far off the floor though.
    It could mean that you'd have to ask for help from a guitard or drummist and that would take too much time to explain.:rollno: