1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Who uses/has used black nylon tapewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KoalaBass, Jan 25, 2014.

1. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

The few players who come to my mind are: Larry Graham (until the mid-late 70's), Herbie Flowers, Sir Paul (round 69, Let It Be sessions etc...), Pete Quaife (there's a live TV performance in 1967), Paul Samwell-Smith (Yardbirds) and I think that Bootsy used them on his jazz bass when he was playing with James Brown. Does anyone know a few more? :bassist:

2. freatles

freatles

Grab a box of 'em "rotisserie-sounds" and it lists like 400 names.

3. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I use L aBella black nylon tape wound flats on all of my basses. I have for years. I used them back in the 60s but the quality of today is much better. I can get all the sounds I need using them.

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

As for famous bassist that use/used black nylon coated strings, I think that you pretty much covered it and I can't think of anybody else.

I have one Fender P with them. I use GHS because most of the other brands have really big gauges and they won't fit into my nut!

I really like the sound of them and actually, they are not as "dud and thud" as one might expect.

My issue with taped strings is grounding! When our fingers are on the strings, the coating does not allow for grounding and so there is a bit of a hum. It's not too bad with the humbucking P pickup but it can still be heard a tiny bit. I imagine with a single coil pickup it would indeed be bad!

I'd love to hear a fretless bass with nylons!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

I installed LaBella tapewound strings on my Wishbass Lobe last night. So far so good. I am happy with the sound and feel.

7. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

I have D'Addario Black Nylons on my Squier VM70s Jazz, and they sound great. No hum issue, though, because I've shielded the bass fairly well. Definitely not as dead as regular flats. It's a nice compromise of feel, smooth tone, and higher frequency presence.

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It seems like the OP is asking which famous bassists used or have used tapewounds.

But I, the world renowned 3234718, have also used tapewounds.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I had a cheapo Yamaha fretless with labella white tapes. Mwah for days.

10. bassplace

bassplace

I was surprised how good they sound on a P bass that I have a fret less rosewood neck on

11. freatles

freatles

12. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Graham Maby, bassist for Joe Jackson! :hyper: I have black nylon tapes on one of my basses because of him. "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" is a set of these and a pick. He played them on all of the early albums, I think, and was using them live every time I saw them back then. (Damn. I'm old. :scowl:)

13. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Anything Herbie Flowers. Jazz Bass with Roto tapes.

14. Grissle

Grissle

This is what got me into Tapes. I've got a Jazz with Roto's. Another thing not mentioned yet is that Tapes + Piezo setup can be a really magical combo. I will get a Piezo setup someday for sure.

15. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Truth

16. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

I was considering these fo my fretless. I did not know Graham used these. Cool info, thanks.

17. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

30 some years ago I had a black & maple tuxedo with black dots running the board; and I used black tapes on it because I thought they looked cool.

18. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Tapes + Piezo + Fretless + Hollowbody = WIN!!

My Rob Allen Mouse and Takamine B10 Acoustic-Upright wear La Bella Black Tapes and sound & feel just divine. The Baer ML112 matches them perfectly. :D

Slight OD w/ mid boost + Pick on the Mouse gives the nicest modern/vintage Hollowbody sound I've heard.

19. Grissle

Grissle

I'd love to hear a sample. I've lusted over RA Deep 4's. but I can't find the info on what scale they are, short, med., or long?

20. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

http://roballenguitars.com/choosing.html

Rob Allen Megathread.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1020282

Deep is usually 34", with 33" and 35" custom options.

Tak B10 info.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/takamine-b10-130713/#post1489745

http://deborahcarter.com/
    -> can listen to tunes here or on iTunes too.

21. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

John Entwistle used La Bella nylons on a Fender Jazz Bass for the "My Generation" solo.