Who wants there kids to be a Musician?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassist30, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

I have seen and talked to many musicians who play various instruments. many of which feel that they would want the kids to make something else as a profession. Spoken to studio musicians (who were very lucrative in the 80's), Rock, soul, classical etc and feel the way the economy as well as the on going computer updates which take some of the technical skills away that the future of a musician will not be in line with some of the other or most other professions. Now i am not knocking musicians as we are one ourselves and put in more hours in our instrument than many doctors. Things to considers. Is the rate of pay increased as with other professions? Has the need of a musician increased over the years?and finally, this is our kid we are talking about. Remember a girl musician you may ....well want to protect her more than a male child. But its food for thought. I get the feeling a parent might feel differently but hey its something to consider when you yourself may have a child. If you dion't have a child or two or more.
  2. KJung

KJung

3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

No kids, no worries! :D
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Of my three one is very musical. He loves everything about music.
    He isn't the "collage" type like his older brother and sister.
    It's his passion. I do what ever I can to help him including setting him up with a great teacher that is getting him ready for his entrance audition at McNally Smith (I would love to see him go to Berklee but just can not afford it.)

If that is what he wants to do with his life I'm all for it.
    He may never be rich but he could do a lot worse then working at a record store or working with his old man in a bike shop during the day and playing in a band at night.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

I don't have a kid yet, but when I do I'll be happy with whatever he/she ends up doing as long as he's/she's happy doing it and is a healthy/productive member of society. My nephew is a music major at USC (focusing on trumpet and jazz), currently in his senior year, and my guess is he'll end up being a teacher. I can think of far worse careers to have.
  7. nomeX

nomeX

"What should I do for a living, Dad?"

"Do whatever you want for a living, so long as you are positioned to never want for the rest of your life. If people don't like it, it doesn't matter, and if it hurts others, you will be stopped."

That's what I'll tell mine
  8. elgecko

elgecko

I don't necessarily want my daughter to make a living in music but I definitely want her to keep playing and singing since I know the it's brought me over the years.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My kids showed no inclination toward it, and quite honestly, I'm happy about that. It's not a great way to make a living. It's a lot of fun to play, but the business end blows.
  10. ksandvik

ksandvik

I want my kids to move out from the house.
  11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Sure (as a hobby). :)
  12. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I wouldn't mind, If she takes the interest, but it's not something I am going to push either. Whatever happens, happens. She does love to sing, record herself, and play around with audio/video editing, more than playing an instrument Maybe she'd become a recording engineer rather than a player, based on that. Again whatever happens.........
  13. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I am childfree, but I've been listening with interest to my bands' virtuoso guitarist as he has discussed his daughters' future in regards to music. Last time I asked if he was encouraging them to play, he said no because he doesn't want them to end up the way he did--an unemployed high school dropout. He claims he quit school because he planned on being a rock star, but never made it past the local level. He believes he threw his future away because he was so into his music and he doesn't want his kids doing the same thing.

Knowing him like I do, I know I will get nowhere by pointing out that there is a middle ground, which I'm an example of. I have been playing bass since I was 13, I obtained a Ph.D., teach college, and am currently playing in 2 cover bands with him. As far as I'm concerned, it's all good. It's a great hobby, and I wish more parents would encourage it.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have one son who is now 23. He is studying computer programming. He has a guitar and a bass and never plays them. He loves the same music as I do and enjoys going to concerts but isn't interested in playing. It doesn't matter to me as long as he enjoys what he is doing. If he ever wants to play music, I will give him my blessing. I just want him to be happy, healthy, safe and financially stable.
  15. James Judson

James Judson

No professional musicians in this house.

No professional fighters in this house.

No professional race car drivers in this house.

Why??? Because after every gig you gotta go down and get your food stamps just to eat. I say get a college degree and a career. Then you'll have enough money to chase those other hobbies and all the musicians will say "how can you afford that guitar collection"?

Don't get me wrong, we do all three at my house but we pay the bills first. Nothing better than the smile on my grandsons face after driving my go kart at 72 mph (no exaggeration GPS is very accurate). He's 8 yo by the way and not a very good guitar player. And Team Quest has taught him to stand up to bullies.

I haven't seen a raise in thirty years and my hours have been cut (musician pay). Glad I went for that career and retired at 45 yo.

Now it doesn't matter how much I have to Pay to Play but I would never ask my team to do that.
  16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I'll fully support the artistic side of my daughter (now 2) just like my parents did with me. They said "get your degree and then do whatever you want." I can't make anyone go to college, but I can certainly educate her on the benefits.

Hoping that she takes up drums or guitar so I'll have someone to jam with all the time. My brother is a drummer, it was great.
  17. mtandrews

mtandrews

my kids have no interest at all. My oldest used to monkey around with a keyboard/synthesizer when she was young but has no interest now.
  18. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

You dont have to make music a profession to be a musician.

That being said, yes i will encourage my children (if/when i have any) to take up music, but if they dont want to it wont be forced upon them
  19. tmdazed

tmdazed

I told both my kids, Learn to play something , learn to sing , whatever, these are skills, even if not used for years, no one can take away from you. My son plays guitar and sings in a band and my daughter sings and writes songs
  20. BottomThumper

BottomThumper

My parents made No bones about it- music is all well and good, but get a 'real' job. I interpreted that to mean 'you'll never make it in music.' So I always treated my music as a slightly direputable but desirable mistress.

My son is 13 now and plays a pretty decent sax. I'm giving him a bass for Christmas, and would love for him to take piano at some point. I don't know what he'll end up doing for a living, but I do know that music is a universal language, promotes greater brain development, and can be a creative release for the rest of a person's life. All that being said, I believe if it's meant to be, it will be. Telling a child to settle for security instead of pursuing what makes him (or her) happy walks that line which makes me ask myself, ' Am I trying to save him some pain, or myself?
  21. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

My brother is a teacher (music) as well as his wife (foreign language). Don't know what teacher situation near you is but teachers are not doing as well as they were 15 years ago. hard to get in. Cut backs causing the arts program to diminish little by little because of lack of funds. More students causing classes to be over crowded. My elementary school where my daughter goes let go 9 teachers. In favor of multi language teachers. private teachers I can see. Anthony Jackson made a good column about where music will be in 20 years. i think it was a topic in Bass Players some years ago.