Who's Error?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I just changed strings for the first time ever the other day and the A string ended up snapping. I've heard of how breaking the E string is fairly normal but I'm kinda kicking myself for it being the A string.

I had everything in tune when I noticed the A string was way looser then the other three, it was even smacking the pickup when rather lightly plucked; I thought it was an octave down. Since the other strings were holding up fine at that tension I'm wounding if I was at fault or if it was just a bad string.

Thoughts? Any suggestions so I don't mess up when I put the stock strings back on?
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Hard to tell. There are some "if" issues associated with this. It may simply be a bad string...

- if you didn't bend or kink the string sharply at the failure point before installation
    - if nothing damaged the string by impact before installation
    - if you didn't bend the end of the string to install in the tuner so sharply that the string failed at the point it was bent
    - if you didn't over-tighten the string badly while installing, then loosen it down to tune

You get the idea. If nothing happened that might have damaged the string or caused metal fatigue (such as a sharp bend or kink) then it's reasonable to contact the string company and ask for a replacement as a faulty string from the manufacturer. That does happen and many string companies are good about replacements.

Also consider, you have little to lose by contacting them and asking.

When installing, I lay out each string and replace one at a time; I cut about four fingers past the tuning post the string will wind on; avoid twisting the string; bend about 1/2 inch of the string end to insert into the tuning post; wrap the string carefully from the top down, winding (not "wounding", which means to injure) downwards; tune up to pitch and don't over-tighten.

(Note: "Whose" is the word you seek - it has a different meaning than "Who's," which is an abbreviation for "who is," as in "Who's coming with me?")
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    What kind of strings?

And are we sure the A string was the A string?
  4. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

They were rotosound swing bass 66. Unless it was in the wrong envelope it was the right string, they also all fit soundly into the nut. Pardon my spelling and grammar mistakes, I'm on winter break, can you tell?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Can you give us more information on what the instrument was? String Thru-Body / Top Load. Where the string broke etc?
  7. horus

horus

Hmm.. yeah there are a lot of variables in play here. Did you compare the string gauges to see if this really was the A? It should be visibly obvious if it isn't...

If it is the right string, then yeah, what Pilgrim said.

Later On,
    D
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sure. Now you know why my grad students sometimes tear their hair out when I grade their papers. I even correct commas and placement of apostrophes. If they're going to earn a degree, they're going to do it right.

I never am on break when it comes to writing. I strive for clarity and precision at all times. Call it a personal foible.

We now return you to your regular programming....;)

Speaking of which, it really is hard to tell what happened. String failures DO occur, so if your installation technique was good, don't hesitate to contact the manufacturer.
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

And breaking the E is not normal maybe the G