1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Whosampled.com

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Really digging this website. It's a reference and compilation of many classic samples used by hip hop artists including links to the original songs. If nothing else, it's a great way to be exposed to obscure old school funk and r&b tracks.

2. Unrepresented

Media:
    Dear past self,

You've asked a question in another forum that could be effectively answered utilizing the website you've posted above.

Your travels through time and space must be taxing so I included a hyperlink to the post in the above sentence. It's blue and underlined in today's technology, but I suspect your futuristic transporters and data converters may display it differently. Carry on, weary traveler.

-- Your current self.

3. St Drogo

St Drogo

ha-HA! I shall steal this websitesuggestion, travel backwards in time, and deliver it to your old, dead and buried thread, even before you suggest it here! I SHALL HAVE ALL THE GLORY. SHAN'T I, MR MITTENS? SHAN'T I!? HOOHEEHAAARRHARRHAARR!

4. Unrepresented

Media:
    Dear past self,

In this post in another thread I suggested that perhaps the Talkbass user going by the name of "St Drogo" may be of aid to you in this query. However, updated information that a previous past self had given you suggests his motives and ethics may be questionable as evidenced here:

Retreat to plan Alpha as necessary.

Safe returns past self,

-- Current self.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. St Drogo

St Drogo

You may have caught me this time, Wanderer Of The Ages, but i can afford to be patient. I'll bide my time, nefariously twirling my mustache.
    Next time, isn't that right mr mittens? We'll get him next time. Yes. Hoohum. Quite.

7. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Some of us just learn the original songs, instead of the ripped off version. ;)

8. Unrepresented

Media:
    I wasn't alive when the vast majority of the old funk, soul, and disco songs sampled were released. So aside from the stuff that was a big enough hit in its day to remain popular years later, this is my introduction to a lot of it.

For all those who bash sampling as an art form, it's definitely a good gateway drug for exposure to some classics we'd otherwise have been oblivious to.:)

9. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Sampling as an "art form"? Any halfwit can do that; it's just plagiarism at it's worst. I know my German Shepherd could do it with 5 minutes of training, but he wouldn't lower himself. He's a Rock & Roll Dog.

10. St Drogo

St Drogo

I disagree. You don't have to be a fullwit to make art. You have to be human.

Edit: also, you call the people who actually do something different plagiarists, while a lot of rock and roll is rehashed old formulas. Seems strange to me. Not that i don't like rock though.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Note to futureself:

Kill Pastself.

12. Unrepresented

Media:
    Politely disagree. While there is some that's not as inspiring, the sound collages that a lot of producers create are so far removed from the source they're almost unrecognizable.

13. St Drogo

St Drogo

Check out this really cool video:

It shows how the prodigy made 'smack my bitch up'; which samples were used and how they used them. Still, the endproduct is a different song that can stand on its own imo. Would you say this is plagiarism?

14. Unrepresented

Media:
    The only difference between a mellotron organ from 50 years ago and a hip hop sample is semantics.

If you didn't hate the Beatles doing it in the 60's I question your reasoning for disliking it today.

15. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Man, don't even try to broach the subject with guys like that. He's in the same camp that think computer musicians aren't actually making music. I love to give them all DAW equipped computers or sample machines and see if they actually make anything decent. My money's on no.

16. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

It's not "plagiarism" if the sources are acknowledged and the publishing/licensing rights are paid for. Perhaps any "half-wit" can sample, but how many can do it well? You don't just go into a studio, push a few buttons, and come out with something that sounds good. A lot of folks (and I used to be one of them) think "scratching" records on turntables is easy and takes no musicianship. But challenge any naysayers to try it, and they'll never take you up on it. They'll give some lame excuse like, "I'm a rocker, man. That's beneath me." Whatever :rolleyes:. And I say all of this as an old-school funkateer who doesn't especially like hip-hop. It's one thing to not like something; it's quite another thing to belittle and dismiss it, especially when you don't really know what it takes to do it well.

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I know you're right about this, but I just can't help myself!:D

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1

I cannot stand sampling. It shows absolutely no talent or originality and is a complete ripoff of other artist's music.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

[​IMG]

20. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Make solid track based off of samples then talk about much talent it takes. Till then, your words carry no weight.

You can dislike something as much as you want. You can hate it with every fiber of your being, and that's totally cool, but to speak as to the ability that it takes to produce this thing that you dislike so much is something you can't do.

21. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I guess you just can't help yourself either, Kwesi!;)

I feel you, man...I just can't stand to see people trash something they clearly don't fully understand, and won't even try to understand. And why enter a thread titled "Whosampled.com" knowing you hate sampling?